☆ 1 ☆

*BEEP* 

*BEEP* 

*BEEP*

A low groan brushes past my parted lips, my eyes squinting due to the morning sun peeking through the blinds. I reluctantly pull my hand out from the warmth of my blankets, navigating my way around the familiar alarm clock before finding the snooze button and clicking it. I hum softly at the new-found silence, my eyelids fluttering shut to hopefully continue my once deep sleep. 

A few minutes roll by and I huff loudly, knowing whatever "peaceful" sleep I had endured last night was now long gone and my body was ready for the day. I slowly sit myself up, my hands rubbing away the sleep left in my eyes as I kick my legs over the side of the bed. With a small yawn and a satisfying stretch, I grab my phone, glancing over my notifications before tossing it off to side as I stand up.

I begin to shuffle over to my vanity, blinking softly to quicken the pace of my slowly focusing eyes. I blink once more as I stand in front of my dresser, only then getting a good look of the knotted mess sitting on top of my head. I grit my teeth as I reach up, grabbing the hair tie buried deep in the monstrosity before pulling out my bun.

With my brush in hand, I guide it through my lavender hair, quickly becoming used to the sound of ripping and the split ends flying about through the air. Once my hair was brushed smoothed and with only a few tears were shed; I pull the loose ends back into a bun before eventually making my way down to the kitchen.

"Good morning." I yawn out to Griffin as I walk in, waddling over to the woman as she continued making breakfast.

I lay my head on her shoulder, receiving my usually kiss to the temple but not a 'good morning' back. It didn't register in my head that her silence was a bit off from her regular somewhat cheerful self in the morning, or the fact a suspicious wide grin danced across her lips. I just wanted breakfast, is that too much to ask?

My eyebrows slowly furrow as an unsettling feeling rose up in my chest, my mind suddenly becoming aware of what's going on. I open my mouth, ready to question her strange behavior, but was cut off as Dad pops up from behind the island with a yell. I fly backwards with a scream, my hands coming up to my face to try and somehow block out whatever was coming at me. As Dad and Griffon begin to laugh, I feel my tense body relax; I guess I'm awake now.

"Haha, I bet you guys think you're so funny." I say, my smile peeking through the sarcasm as I walk past Dad, giving him a small shove as he continues to laugh.

"Hilarious, actually. But thanks for the compliment." Dad remarks as he wipes an imaginary tear from his cheek, making me roll my eyes.

"Oh sweetheart, we love you so much." Griffon sighs happily, sliding over a plate of freshly made pancakes as I take a seat at the island.

"Yeah, definitely feeling that love right now." I tell them, causing the two to chuckle as a half-asleep Joey wanders in not a moment later.

"Good morning, sleepyhead." Griffon smiles, placing a bowl filled to the brim with Cheerios before grabbing the carton. I smile softly as she pours her milk, knowing the teen could easily do it herself, but chose to help the sleepy mess.

"How'd you sleep, Lane?" Dad asks, pressing the mug of coffee to his lips as he leans up against the kitchen counter.

"Okay, I guess?" I answer, the confusion laced in my voice causing Griffon to chuckle.

"Good... So, you won't rip off my head off for asking how the job search is going." He replies after a moment, causing my appetite to diminish within seconds.