5 - Strange conditions

The next day she received a text message from Sebastian. "Charles, I know you'll be visiting your parents today. So you will be in town, anyway. Can you come over? I've got the draft and I think it'd be better if we can go through it together. I believe you'll not be... amused."

'Uh-oh... this sounds no good', Charlie thought. She texted him back: "Sure. I can be there in the early evening. But I gotta tell you right now: If this is going to be all too complicated - I'm out." His answer was there within a few seconds: "It's not complicated. It's just kind of... strange. See you later!"

'Strange? I see... there's trouble ahead', Charlie thought. 'Luckily, I'm not depending on this job, my book of commissions is brimful.' She felt a little disappointed, though - because the offer had already been growing on her. To attend that band on their European tour would be less exhausting than joining U2 on their US tour, wouldn't it? The distances between gigs would be much shorter and therefor traveling less stressful.

'Just wait and see', she pushed her deliberations aside. First things first: Her parents were expecting her visit after she'd returned from South Africa. 'I only hope it ain't gonna be a »Welcome Home Party« again.' Gradually they should be used to her gipsy life by now. She grabbed her laptop and her car keys and drove off.

Thankfully, her father and her mother were quite relaxed when they opened the door for Charlie. They joyfully took her in their arms and kissed her but afterwards they just sat down at the coffee table and talked about her trip, what she'd seen and experienced. Then she showed them some pictures on her laptop. There were lots of "Aaahs" and "Ooohs" and Charlie's father asked, as usual, if she'd send some of them to relevant magazines - what was her intention, like always. She told him that she'd have to review hundreds of pictures first to draw up a shortlist. Like always...

Two hours later she said good-bye (not without promising her mother that she would never ever forget about her grandmother's birthday) and was on her way to Seb's office in the city. She parked her car in the underground garage and took the stairways up to his office on the 9th floor. When she entered the office she was out of breath and the sweat dripped off her forehead. Seb was excited to see her and wanted to hug her - but she repelled him, gasping: "Give me a minute, Seb. Need to catch my breath..."

"You're adorable", he replied. "Have a seat. Want some water?" "Yeah..." He handed her a bottle out of the fridge. She drank half of it at once, like she was dying with thirst. "Aaaah... that's better." She made herself comfortable on the armchair in front of Seb's desk, cross-legged. "I know why you're doing this, every time. But yet... there's an elevator, you know?" She cracked a smile. »You know?« reminded her of that man in the video clip. What then reminded her of his boner on stage. She chuckled. "What?" Seb asked puzzled. "Nothing", she replied, still with laughter. Seb warily glanced at her, hitting his keyboard.

"So", she continued, more serious now and breathing almost normally. "They've sent a draft and it's... strange?" "Well... yeah. Not so much the contract itself... Though there are some unusual passages in there... But... uhhhm ... well - it'd better you'll see into it for yourself. I've only got a single copy, let me just print it out for you."

To Charlie's surprise the printer spat out only four pages. 'Yeah, that's really strange, she thought.' Normally, she needed to sign contracts with no less but ten pages, not counting in appendices. "Read the management's mail first", Seb advised her delivering the copy.

She read: "Dear Mr. Hansen..." 'Err... what?' She shook her head but kept on reading. "Attached you'll find the first draft of a contract concerning OneRepublic's Europeans leg of their live concert tour and you, backing them up with your camera. We, the band members, myself, but especially their founders, Mr. Filkins and Mr. Tedder, would love you to join us. Suggestions/changes/amendments appreciated - any time! Please bear in mind - there's a tight schedule for the band so a quick reply's very welcome. Mr. Hansen, we'd be glad to welcome you on board soon, but we can totally understand if you'd decline our request for we all know your own schedule is as tight as ours. Sincerely, Mark".