29 - In the morning I'll be better

Eddie noticed her face turning pale and he went to her. "Hey... as if I ever would seriously call you a bitch..." he said, misjudging the situation. He wanted to give her a hug but she kept him at distance by raising her hands. "Don't. F*ck, I need another drink." She plunked herself into the sofa again and poured herself another glass - full to the brim. "Why're your hands shaking, honey?" Eddie took place beside her. "Did it hit you that hard I could've meant you? I think I've called you bitch a few days ago - and it didn't bother you, quite the contrary." He smiled at her apologetically.

Charlie sipped on her Bourbon two or three times before she answered, staring at the glass in her hands, twisting it: "I dunno. I think I'm just oversensitive today. And this stuff ain't working on me, somehow." She took another sip. "Yes, I can see... I've got the impression you're still totally sober. Amazing." He poured himself the next glass, but in contrast to her he took a reasonable amount.

"Ed?" "Hm?" "What did you mean by saying 'he can't be serious about this'?" He gave her an excusing look. "Can't talk about this. It's Ryan's personal matter. At least I can tell that he's gonna fly back home to LA tomorrow in the afternoon." Charlie was in shock out of surprise but she tried to contain herself. "He's leaving?" "Yeah. It's no big deal for we can do some promo shows without him - that's all we can do as long as he's still unable to go on stage anyway."

She gulped down the Bourbon. "His wife will be happy then..." Eddie looked her up and down. "I doubt it." He took the empty glass out of her hand. "Seems to me you're neither." "Neither... what?" She had barely listened to him. "Not happy with Ryan leaving us", Eddie replied. "I don't care", she answered a bit too quick. Eddie took the bottle and poured her another drink, but just two fingers. "Thanks." "You're welcome. Listen... I can't pretend not to sense there's something bothering you about Ryan's trip." "Why? I'm perfectly fine with this - if not to say I'll be relieved when he's gone." "Maybe you're fine with the fact he's gonna be away - but not where he's going, am I right?"

She blushed. "Bullshit!" "Why you're blushing, then?" She even blushed the more, put her glass down on the table with a bang and buried her face in her hands. Her shoulders started shaking, she made strange noises and Eddie thought she would cry now. But before he could try to comfort her she took her hands off her face again and she was dying with laughter instead. She laughed so hard that tears were running down her face. Eddie was baffled.

"Finally, the alcohol works on you", he said uncomprehendingly. "If it's a good joke you obviously just have told yourself I wanna hear it." She nervously stroke back her wet hair. Eddie thought: 'She doesn't even know how se*y she is when she does this. And that she does it as often and automatically like my mate. Doesn't she realize how much they're the same in so many ways?'

"Joke?" she said, unable to stop laughing, wiping away her tears. "I'm far away from joking! It's pretty sad, in fact. The Bourbon and me will become friends after all, you're right." "What's so sad that you can hardly stop laughing about it? And I hope you know how crazy this sounds..."

"Well... I just remembered how pissed Ryan was after that night you and me spent together. All this time I thought it was about me disobeying his order." "That he didn't want to know about what's been going on between you and me?" She nodded. "Aw... I shouldn't do this..." She put her hand on her forehead. "Not good. I feel dizzy." "Stop drinking, then. You think otherwise, now?" "Yep." "Mh. Why?" "Because... I've just experienced the same." "Which is?" She didn't look at him when she answered: "Jealousy. Bloody f*cking jealousy. You were right. The thought he's flying home to his wife and kids... is making me sick. It makes me wanna rant at him. Just like he ranted at me... after that night." She glanced at Eddie. "Do you think it's possible... he felt likewise? ... Oh my... what did I just say?" Eddie laughed. "The truth, honey. Nothing but the truth. Just like children... and drunken people always do."

She fell back, covering her eyes with her forearm. "You should really stop drinking, babe. Let me put you to bed." She took away her arm and stared at him. "Not yet!" "Gotta say anything else?" "Not if you don't wanna hear it." Eddie drank off before he answered: "Whatever you wanna tell... I will listen. Not that anything you're gonna say now will be any news to me, honey." Charlie's tongue was already loose now. "Just to remind you: No fun being with me tonight." She was stretching out to get into a more comfortable position. "F*ck, I'm getting tired..." "I'll let you get in touch with Morpheus any minute but - tell me why you cried today. I mean... I can make a guess - but that won't help you." "Right... Thanks to my best friend... it happened to come to my mind, only just today... I always thought I'd hate him. Not true. Drink on!" "Not true? What's the truth, then?"

"Quite the oppossssite..." Her words were slightly slurry now. Eddie was smirking. "Aren't you drunk enough already to talk straight?" "Whatcha mean?" "'Quite the opposite'... stop beating around the bush." "Ah... shut up, Fisher. I already said too much. And I guess you don't need to hear more." "Oh, why not? Don't be afraid it would make me jealous." "Oh... why not?" "Because we have an agreement, remember?" "No, not right now..." She was yawning. "We agreed on a ONS. No obligations. As for me... I never was too emotional about that and I still ain't. So... why are you anxious about me and my feelings?" She chuckled. "Because I'm oversensitive today, told you already... at least... I think I did. Or... didn't I?" "Congrats, sweetie... your brain's still working. Not exactly brilliantly but..." "Honey... just drink up. And let's go to bed, afterwards", she said, kind of indifferent. "It's enough for today." "Just guessing... I'm supposed to take the sofa?" "Why would I be so cruel to you?" "Coz you are who you are?" "Coz I am who I am... no! I wouldn't like you to take the sofa. And... because... in the morning I'll be better. With you, by my side."