16 - Fatal incident

"Nobody likes cold coffee", Ryan murmured to himself, shaking his head. "Silly thought... We weren't focused on what's really important." He had to watch her walking out after she'd stood up pouring her coffee in the sink, not able or even eager to stop her from leaving. Some bad things must've happened to her. He'd been guessing that, all along. "Why do I care, anyway? It's none of my business. Eddie should take care of her. Or Zach. Or... anyone. She trusts them. Me... I'm her worst enemy, it seems."

Being all on his own now he had to admit: It felt no good. She only wanted him to compromise, to let them speak their minds... And he withstood. Just because he could. Great, Ryan! Absolutely great. Will you ever learn? Angry with himself he grabbed his guitar again - and accidentally pushed his mug from the table. It broke into pieces. "Fuck!" he swore and jumped on his feet.

"Ow! Jesus Christ!" He had stepped on a shard, unaware of his naked feet. Judging by the immense pain he felt it must have been a large fragment. "Shit!" He sat down again, pulling up his injured foot to observe the wound. "Dammit!" he cursed clenching his teeth. It was a large piece! And it seemed to be stuck deep into the ball of his foot. Blood already dripped down to the floor. Ryan began to feel a little sick. He grabbed his phone and called Zach.

"Buddy... you know, I told you once... I think can't see no blood, right? At least not my own. Turned just out it's true. Can you come over? I'm a bit dizzy, I guess." "What happened?" Zach asked, sounding alarmed. "Stupid thing. Tried to have coffee with my foot. Will you come around? And... don't tell the others!" "On my way." Ryan stared at his bleeding foot in disgust... and passed out.

When he came around and opened his eyes again with his bandmates gathering around, he noticed he was lying on the floor. His head laid on something hard but flexible at the same time and his lower legs were placed on top of the seat of a chair. He felt something cold and wet on his forehead. He tried to raise - and was gently brought down by a pair of hands on his shoulders. "Keep it down!" He turned his eyes backwards and saw Charlie kneeling behind him. So his head was resting on her thighs, apparently. She smiled at him, looking concerned, just like the others. He let himself sink back, grunting. "Hilarious. When I said »Don't tell the others« - what'd you think I could've meant, Zach?"

"Asshole! I came over here, all on my own, just to find you unconscious. I panicked and called the others." Despite his insult Zach came across all worried and caring. Drew chuckled. "And we wanted to take care of our little pussy." Ryan tried to turn up again, held back by Charlie's hands once more. "Steady, dude. Take it easy. Wanna fade away a second time? Holding out for sympathy?"

Ryan gave up. "That's the last thing... sympathy... phrrr..." He managed to show his middle fingers. "Hey... can someone have a look at this massacre I've done to my foot?" "We all did", Brent answered, repulsed. "Looks pretty serious. That's why we've called an ambulance." "Errr... What? C'mon, it can't be that bad... Like Drew said... I was just being a pussy." He heard Charlie giggling. "Yeah... I knew you'd like this", Ryan said turning his eyes on her, giving her a punishing glance. His head bounced slightly on her legs while she was laughing. "Oh, shut up and stop shaking", Ryan was trying to be serious but couldn't help laughing, too. "You're giving me a concussion, on top!"

"A concussion would be your slightest problem now if we hadn't held back Drew from pulling this shard out of your wound", Zach said. "Charlie told him not to do it." "Did she? She likes to see me tortured, huh?" Ryan answered mockingly when he suddenly felt her hands teasingly closing around his neck. "Careful, Tedder. Don't throw bricks at me..." He nodded. "OK, OK... you'd rather like to see me dead, I get it... take your hands off... please!" She let go off his neck. Zach smirked: "If our little nurse here had done what was on his mind you'd be bleeding lots more by now." Drew smiled embarrassed and apologizing when Zach tapped both hands on his bandmate's shoulders. "The doctor's said the same on the phone. We shall leave it where it is, put your legs up and wait for the ambulance."

Ryan suddenly noticed that Eddie was absent. "Where's Eddie? I thought him to be the first to make fun out of me." Zach and Charlie were exchanging glances over his head, it was only for a split second but Ryan witnessed it exactly. "He's waiting outside to signal the ambulance", Zach quickly replied - a bit too quick for Ryan's taste. "Ooookay... and he's doing this because... two large trailers like ours can be easily overlooked, right? I can only hope they're not sending us half-blind medics. Then, Drew'd better take care of my injury..."

The door bus opened and the topic himself sticked his head in. "They're here. And they want everybody off the bus who isn't needed." Not waiting out an answer he left again. "OK, everybody out", Zach made the call. Ryan raised his hand. "Except for her. She stays. I need her thighs. For my head." The guys were grinning but Charlie reached out for a pillow on the bench behind. She lifted Ryan's head from her legs and put the pillow underneath. "You'll be perfectly fine without my thighs", she said in a determined tone and stood up. Ryan pulled a sulky face. "Thought you'd love to see my suffer", he sounded reproachfully but smirking. "Oh, don't bother... There'll be plenty of time for that... afterwards." Ryan frowned but she ignored him.

"Good luck, mate - and don't bringdiscredit upon yourself. Get a grip and don't cry. We're right outside so wecan hear you! You're not about to die." Brent couldn't help but teasingRyan one last time before they all got out of the trailer.