25 - Diagnosis

They'd almost finished breakfast when Tommy came in. "Morning, everyone! Ready to get rid off your sorrows, Mr T?" He sounded all happy. Ryan looked at him sternly. "Absolutely. What's that gotta do with you?" Tommy at once lost his happiness. "Uh, well... I thought... Imma drive you to the hospital?" Ryan shook his head. "No, you won't." "Uh... excuse me, Mr T? That's what my calendar's sayin'..." Tommy was checking his phone, out of confusion. "Your calendar's right but... you're not gonna drive me." "Okay... no problem." Tommy was experienced enough with the sudden changes his job was demanding, sometimes. "Who's gonna need the keys, then?" Ryan pointed at Charlie. "She does." Charlie got startled up. Out of surprise she said: "What?!" She was looking at Ryan first - then at Tommy - who only gave her an excusing look and put the car key on the table right in front of her before he went out again.

Before Charlie was able to ask any question Ryan said: "Change of plans. I'm gonna need your experience here. You can drive... at least, I hope so... you're used to the habits in this country and... moreover: You're capable of translating my screams of pain, if necessary." He winked at her but she said: "You think this is funny? I don't. I already got other plans for today. As tempting as it is to see you in pain once more." "Thought so. See... I don't want to start another fight here. That's why I'm asking nicely: Would you please accompany me to the hospital? I know there's always so much paperwork to do in this frigid country - and these forms are never bilingual. I'm more afraid of this than of any physical pain. We can see to your plans afterwards." She looked around aghast and stunned. "Did you just hear this?" she asked the others out of disbelief. "Did he really just ask for something?" Zach nodded while the others were smirking. "He did. And it was quite polite and friendly."

She turned to Ryan again. "You're moving me, Tedder. Frankly, I could almost cry." He pulled a face. "Who do you think I am? There's no need to be insulting!" "Because of... just for once - I repeat: once! - you didn't command me? Excuse me when I think that THIS is funny!" "Obviously our understanding of what's funny and what's not doesn't match!" "Among many other things - I fully agree!" "Are you gonna drive me - or not?!" "Yes!" "Thanks!" Both had to laugh and so did everyone.

About an hour later they were on their way to the hospital. Ryan was quite taciturn. "Saving your words for later?" she asked him with a side-glance when his quietness became somehow inconvenient to her. "Huh? Oh... I just noticed I left my phone on the trailer. And now I'm trying to keep some lyrics and melodies on my mind. Sorry." "No problem... want mine?" "Your phone? It's not an iPhone, is it?" "Nope." "Mh. I'm not sure if this'll work for me." "Try, then. Can't be significantly different from your stuff." She handed him her phone. "Thanks... Is there any app which I can use to type some words... can I record some things?" "Sure, I think I've got Word on it... and there should be a recorder, too. I'm excited... will I be the first one to hear some new songs?" "Yep... your own private show. Hey listen... do you know CarPoolKaraoke?" She smiled. "Yeah, I do..." "Maybe we can do this on our way back. You're James Corden - and I'm me!" "You wouldn't want to hear me singing." "You never know." "I do." "I think my opinion's more relevant." "It always is. At least... to you." "Charles?" "Yeah." "You're distressing to me." "Thank you - you too." Both were chuckling.

"You're never singing? Or... you just don't want to sing to me?" he was persistent on the subject. "Oh, I do sing. But only when I'm alone." "In the car?" "Yep." "In your flat... or house... or wherever you live." "In my flat, yes." "In the shower?" "Yeah." "Mh. Love to watch you doin' this." "Cad!" she snorted. "I meant... love to hear you..." "No, you meant watch." "How could you tell what I meant?" "I heard you saying it." "Just a slip of the tongue." "Rarely happens to a singer." "You know... this is just a bit like 'Annie get your gun'... anything I do know you do know better, huh?" She pretended to be enthusiastic: "Yes! It is! Great, huh?" "Oh, wait... I need to write that down..." "What?" "Just got inspired..."