20 - ... and it ain't over till...

Charlie got woken rudely by a loud noise, followed by an even louder cursing and swearing. She took a look at her mobile phone. It was just about 4 o'clock in the morning. She pulled the curtain aside and saw Eddie jumping on one leg. Ryan's curtain stayed closed and he didn't make a move or noise. The empty bottle clanged against the wall and rolled back wobbling. Eddie gave her a penal look. "Did you have a party in here - without me?" She was suppressing a yawning. "Err... no. No idea where this's coming from", she said innocently.

Eddie screwed up his eyes. "Oh, really, don't you? What's that glass doing over there, then?" He pointed at her cupboard. "Uh... it's just standing there...?" "Are you kidding me?" He was suspicious. "Wait... did you let him drink too, perhaps?!" He pulled away the curtain of Ryan's compartment and saw the other glass.

He turned back to Charlie. "Have you lost your mind? That was irresponsible!" "Relax, Fisher", Ryan's voice sounded tired from his bed. "We both just had half a bottle and she even spoilt my other drink with water. We're both sober... at least pretty much. Otherwise I wouldn't even notice you're acting like an inspector right now." Charlie had to giggle and earned an evil eye from Eddie.

"Where're you coming from at that time of the night, after all? You could've joined us... Charles would've loved you... to." He winked and Charlie pursed her lips, winking back. "Is this some kind of conspiracy?" Eddie asked embarrassed, slightly blushing. "What? Noooo..." Ryan replied with choked laughter and Charlie was just smirking.

"Ha! What's the matter with you two? Never saw you that united ever before. What happened last night?" Eddie turned the table, grinning broadly. "Nice move, Fisher", Ryan replied all relaxed. "Don't try to distract us from the actual subject." "Which is?" "Uhhh... you?" "Me? To what do I owe this honor?"

Ryan opened his mouth - and got a warning glance from Charlie. "Oh... ask her. I need some more sleep." And he closed the curtain of his compartment. Eddie looked down at Charlie. "What's been going on between you both?" "Not much. We just had a good conversation." "And I was the subject, apparently. May I ask for details?" Ryan pulled away his curtain again. "Talk about whatever you want... but do it in the kitchen! And when you get there... I think I'll need another painkiller." Eddie was baffled when Charlie instantly got up to do as he'd asked. She grabbed his hand and said: "C'mon, let him get some sleep. He's in such a good mood - I want to keep him that way. Let's move to the kitchen." "Don't forget my painkiller!" "I won't!"

Eddie didn't say anything when he sat down at the table in the kitchen department. He watched her unwrapping Ryan's tablets. "I can't believe what I just witnessed", he murmured. "You're best friends now - or what?" "Just a second, let me provide him with his medics at first", she answered and went back to Ryan. She knocked on the wooden paneling. "You still awake?" He pulled back the curtain. "Yeah..." She could see he was in pain again. "Hey... let me have a look at this." She kneeled down to survey his bandaged foot. "Your toes aren't swollen, that's good. Here're your pills. Got any water left?" "No alcohol this time, huh?" "I won't dignify that with an answer", she replied smiling at him. He took the pills but when she wanted to get up he grabbed her wrist. "Can you do me a favor?" "Another one? Hell, you're demanding... what now?"

"I know what I said about you and your crush on Eddie... I mean... just do what you want to do but... think again before something's going to happen you might regret. That's all." He looked at her in genuine concern. She raised her eyebrows. "Did you change your mind?" He shook his head. "No, I didn't. Though I'm not over the moon if you're really gonna do what's on your mind! But... I'd like you to think it over. You shouldn't do it just to... feed a physical need." He let go off her wrist. "See you later, let me sleep now."