8 - Clarification

She went over to the other bus. The door was closed. Though she saw the hatch and knew about the button she knocked at the door. A few seconds later it was opened. Ryan stood at the tread and looked down at her, his face was blank. "Come in." She took the few steps and he pressed a button on the console to close the door. "After you." He nodded into the direction down the aisle. 'What an exquisite politeness', she thought angrily.

"Take a seat." He pointed at the sitting area in the identical to the other bus's living compartment. He went to the kitchen unit, took two mugs out of the cupboard and poured in the coffee which was already prepared. He came over to her and placed the mugs on the table. "How do you like it?" "Huh?" "Your coffee." "Have you got sweetener?" "No idea. Let me see." After he found nothing in the cupboard he went to the fridge. "Is liquid okay?" She nodded and he brought it, along with a spoon. Then he sat down across from her. She refused to look at him, was concentrated on stirring her coffee. "So... Did you have fun playing us?" She didn't dare to smile for he sounded cold and serious. Instead, she answered with a shrug.

"Lost your tongue, Miss Hansen? Oh... sorry. Is it Miss? Or Mrs?" She took a sip of coffee and placed the mug on the table with a bang. "Miss." She raised her head and met his eyes. "But I'd prefer if you call me Charles. Or Charlie." His eyes were as cold as his tone. "I'm not sure if it's already the time for so much intimacy." She stared at him - and caught a tiny twitching of his mouth. "I need your apology at first." Charlie gulped. "Yeah, well... I'm sorry. I should've been honest with you from the beginning."

He peered at her. "Yeah, you should've. I don't like being deceived." "I'm really sorry, Mr. Tedder." He smirked. "Though I like the sound of that... Ryan." "Charlie." He stretched out his hand. She took it. His handshake was short but cordial and strong. "Fine. Now that we're clear on this - we need to solve a problem. Apart from deceiving there's something else I don't like." "Surprises?" "Huh? Why, no. I do like surprises, at least when they're nice. And your appearance isn't." 'Bad luck', she thought with some sort of anger. "You know why?" She shook her head, her lips compressed. "This is against our rules. You are, to be precise." She remembered what Ryan had said at their first meeting in London.

"I admit... uh... some weeks ago I thought it would be fun if I came here... and see your faces when you all find out 'Charles' is a woman..." "Aha. And now?" "Ain't half as funny as I assumed, judging by the expression on your face." He ran his fingers through his hair and sighed. "Glad you can read it. Spares me many words. To be honest: I'm not quite sure how to deal with the situation you've put us all in. Can you imagine how complicating things can get, you being the only female around?"

She looked him straight in the eye. "Why? Are you afraid of occupied bathrooms?" He furrowed one brow - and burst out laughing. "Oh yes, that's definitely my biggest concern! That - and long hairs in the shower!" He couldn't stop laughing and she smiled. 'Seems like I've just broken the ice', she thought. After a while he calmed down. "At least you bring the humor... which is essential, if you want to stay with us. Still... seriously: Actually, women only do mean one thing - and that is trouble. I don't need that. And I can promise you this: If my mates run into difficulties with you - I'll throw you out within the split of a second. Contract or not. Understood?" She nodded. "Totally." "Great. Want more coffee?" "No, thanks. We're even." His grinning was evil. "Still mad at me because I drank away all the coffee, back then?" "Still mad at me for playing you, back then?" "Touché!" He stood up to get more coffee.

Standing there at the coffee maker he said: "Let's talk shop. Your job starts tonight and we should clarify some details." "Uh... about that... Glad you're mentioning it." He leaned backwards at the desk, sipping on his coffee. "Yes?" "There's nothing to be clarified." He placed his mug on the desk. "Excuse me?" "There's nothing to be clarified", she repeated calmly. "You're not going to tell me how to do my job." He crossed his arms, staring at her. "Oh yes, I am!" "No, you're not." "I misheard you, didn't I?!" "I don't think so." "I believe you've got a copy of our contract?" "Yes, I do." "Read it." "I did." "Read it again." She could see he was boiling inside. "I don't need to, I know what's written in there. 'Under circumstances' I'm entitled to act autonomous and independent - correct?" "Very." "So - who claims these 'circumstances'?" He frowned. "Well... me!" "Show me that section." "What?" "Show me the section where it's written who defines the circumstances." He stared at her open-mouthed. "Uhmm... it goes without saying, it's self-evidently! I'm your employer, so it's my call." "I doubt that." "You've got to be kidding me." He was really enraged.