7 - Pretty little liar

"Here's your ticket, Charlie. Destination: Belgrade." She took it. "Seb?" "Huh?" "I'm nervous." "Ahem... yeah. You should be." "Thank you. How comforting. What if..." "What? You wanted this, didn't you? All what could happen is - they'll throw you out and you're gonna lose some money. Recall the waiting list. Lots of other customers... Shall I get you a wig? Wouldn't help at all to try hiding like a man, though. Your... uh.... tits are kind of giving it away, somehow." "Ha-ha." She hesitated. "Thing is: I'd really like to do this, meanwhile. They're amazing."

Since they've had that first meeting back then in London some weeks ago she did her homework and watched almost every single clip she could find on the internet. Apart from their live performances she'd found TV shows, interviews, official videos, outtakes, fan-made clips and even some clips made by the band members themselves... well... mostly, they were made by their leader. And he was their leader, unmistakably. Even though all members were present at interviews it was almost always on him to answer the questions. On stage he was interacting with the audience, solely - and he did it perfectly. If she had to describe him in three words he was charismatic, energetic and witty.

Seb checked his watch. "We've got enough time. Fancy a coffee?" Charlie agreed. So they went to the next coffee shop.

"So... did you check on them further on? Are you well prepared?" "Guess so. That's why I'm so nervous. You remember you've told me to dig in deeper? I now wish I hadn't." "Why's that?" "Uh... well... I checked on the band at first. Seb, I'm totally excited to see them performing live by myself! They're fantastic. From what I've seen so far, they're way better at that but on the CDs." Seb nodded. "I know. Professionals. With a heart for what they're doing." "Yeah. But then I've found out more about the man you've got a crush on." "Tedder." "Aha. Should've told me more about him earlier. Singing, playing several instruments, writing, producing... I mean... you knew it, all the way: He's a genius, apparently. Beyoncé? Leona Lewis? Ellie Goulding? Adele? James Blunt? Ha... so many songs I know! But I never would've guessed who's behind all those hits." "Hmmm... is there anything wrong with that?" "Err... excuse me? I'm about to mess with a giant in pop music?" Seb smiled mildly. "He's giant, true. But still... he's an ordinary human." "Oh, is he? How can you tell?"

Seb sighed. "See... I never wanted to tell you about it. Because... it's somehow... absurd. And a bit unfair. Remember us, playing them? At the Hilton?" "Sure I do." "Well... Ryan texted me, afterwards." "Did he?" "Yep... Let me see..." Seb went through his phone. "Here we are... 'Enjoyed our meeting today. Sorry we had to leave so soon. My regards to your assistant. Please tell her I apologize for drinking away all the coffee. Pretty thing. Is she just shy - or a bit thick? ;-) We'll keep in touch. RT.'"

"Oh!" Charlie felt her blood pressure rising. "A bit thick? Pretty, but a bit thick?!" "Knew it'd turn you on. Better now?" "You bet!" "Well... he might be an alpha-male, and that's what's making you nervous, why you're maybe even somewhat afraid of working with him. Or for him. Still...." Seb sounded a bit disappointed now. "After all, he's just a man. Comforted?" "Very!" Her voice was gushing with sarcasm.

At the gate they kissed good-bye. "Wish me luck, Seb!" He made two fists and pressed his thumbs. "Call me after the landing. And keep me informed about everything else. Good luck!" "Bye!" "Byeeeeee!"

She enjoyed the flight, watching some episodes of Gracepoint, the American adaption of the British TV series Broadchurch because she liked the Scottish actor David Tennant very much. 'Why the fuck is it always the Brits and Americans producing such wonderful series?', she thought. German telly was so stupid since years. There were some brilliant series she still could recall from her childhood but nowadays it seemed to be trash TV all the way. Gracepoint even featured Anna Gunn, one of the main characters from Breaking Bad, in her mind the most brilliant series of all times. So she was pretty much distracted by that from thinking too much about what was coming up.