33 - The flip side

Charlie felt no need to cross Ryan's path once more before his departure. So she quickly got dressed and wasted no time to escape to the other bus. First she met Brent who was busy in the kitchen compartment. He barely looked up when she came in but joyfully welcomed her. "Hey Charles, right on time - fancy helping me?" "Sure. What's up?" "Drew and Zach went shopping and brought some paprika peppers, onions, mushrooms, garlic... uh... zucchini, spring onions, tomatoes - well, you know... stuff! Zach felt an urgent need for 'Omelette Surprise'."

He kept on rinsing the vegetables he'd just mentioned but interrupted his doings when Charlie just opened the drawer to fetch a knife. "Hmm... no mocking comment on this, Charlie? What's the matter?" He observed her closer and realized her serious and thoughtful face. She shrugged. "Watcha want me to say? It would only be a real 'Omelette Surprise' if Zach dared to take care of this instead of you and me? I ran out of jokes, Brent. Sorry. Just give me the paprika peppers, please." He did but grabbed her hand when she wanted to take the vegetables. "Honey, your face's as white as a wall - are you alright?"

She swallowed but nodded. "Yeah, I'm fine. Just had another argument with Tedder." "Ah. The usual discussion?" "No, not exactly. I offered him to leave as soon as possible since I'm a pain in his ass and he threatened me." Brent looked concerned. "Oh, he played the contract penalty card?" "If only! I'd pay him off, gladly. No, he told me he'd ruin my reputation. Or at least damage it seriously." She began to chop the paprika quite enraged.

To Charlie's surprise - and anger - Brent burst out laughing. She looked at him with disgust and disappointment. "What's so funny?! I don't think he was joking!" Brent shook his head, trying to stop laughing. "No, honey, I don't think so either. He was certainly serious when he said that. And... you know... he really could do that easily! He's connected with so many people, he'd only have to make a few calls and your career is over."

"Why're telling me this - like I wouldn't know?!?" Charlie snapped and put down the knife with a bang. "But you know what?! I don't give a fuckin' damn! I'm gonna leave anyway, no matter what he'll say or do!"

Brent gave her an indulgent smile and said quietly: "Only he would never do that." "Not to you, at least", they both heard Zach saying who was suddenly leaning at the doorpost with a glass of white wine in his hand. "Sorry, I overheard your conversation."

Charlie glanced at him. "How would you know?" she said with an icy voice. "Were you with us when he was as arrogant as a Roman emperor? Who does he think he is?!"

Zach's was smiling relaxed. "He's the chief. At least he likes to believe so." He took a sip of his wine. "But Zach can read his mind like an open book", Brent was grinning. "He's the Tedder whisperer." Zach raised his glass. "Cheers, I try my best", he chuckled. "And you rarely failed", Brent acknowledged. "'Cos I know him long enough", Zach replied. "Yes", Brent nodded. "You're the big brother he never had. That's why he listens to you. At least from time to time." Zach clicked his tongue in disagreement. "Well, he listens to you quite as well." "Only when it comes to business", Brent replied, fending. "If it comes to human interaction he would only listen to your advice!" "Uhmm... err... hello?!" Charlie interrupted, staring at them alternately. "Guys, would you mind discussing later who's Tedder's best buddy? Because... obviously, I'm his worst enemy and I need your advice how to make a clean exit - if that's even possible!"

Brent and Zach were exchanging glances and Brent nodded at Zach. "Uh... yeah... it's not", Zach mumbled after a few seconds, avoiding to meet Charlie's eyes. She had to swallow. "Excuse me, you've just told me he'd listen to you... So... tell him I will pay him off! I will even double the agreed fine!!!" "Don't shout at me, Charles... He wouldn't accept any sum you can offer him." "Yeah, he doesn't care about money, that's not what he wants from you", Brent added in amusement. Zach gave him a warning look.