26 - CarPoolKaraoke at its worst

On their way back Ryan tried to talk her into that Karaoke he mentioned earlier but Charlie refused. "I mean it: You don't want to hear me sing. I've got a terrible voice." "Too bad." He seemed to be truly disappointed. "Even if I promise I won't judge... or tell the others?" "Even then." "Because you don't trust me?" "Because I can't sing - how many times do I have to repeat it?" "OK, OK... I'm getting it. Can I have your phone?" "Nope." "Shit." "Blame it on yourself." "I do. This is gonna be a boring trip. Let me at least turn on the radio." "Feel free." He did and was searching for a proper station. Thankfully the car provided internet radio and so he tuned in BBCR1. "You alright with this?" he asked. "Sure." She was short because the traffic got heavier.

He was humming to "Calm after the storm" by The Common Linnets and gave Charlie an inviting look. She only shook her head. The next song which came on was George Ezra's "Budapest" - and Ryan started to sing along, note by note and he knew the lyrics by heart. Charlie listened to him with a cheering feeling but she kept a straight face. When the song was over he sighed: "Gosh, I wish I had written that one! It's giving me goosebumps every time. And I suppose you like it too, huh?" "Uh... yeah. It's quite alright." He was chuckling. "Stop lying. I know you're liking it just as much as I do. Look at these hair on your arm." He was right - they got all erected. 'If I told him now that's not happening because of George Ezra he's only gonna burst with pride', she thought and bit her bottom lip. He gave her an asking look. "Is it really that hard for you to give it in?" he said out of wonder. "What? No! I must concentrate on driving." "Whatever", he replied in disbelief. The next song came on. To Charlie's displeasure it was "Love runs out"... of all things - her favorite song she never failed to sing along, usually. But now she couldn't for he was sitting right next to her. Promptly, he beamed with joy, turned the radio louder and -of course- sang along cheerfully. 'Can anybody be more narcissistic?' she thought but couldn't avoid smiling - and to lip-synch the song automatically.

He noticed it and his eyes and lips were slightly twitching. He gave her a little push with his elbow. "C'mon, sing it - aloud!" She shook her head but cracked a smile. He shrugged and kept on singing, noticing her fingers tapping on the wheel to the capturing rhythm of the song.

When the song had ended he murmured: "Well... that was the lamest version of CarPoolKaraoke EVER! Thank God we're there." The venue and the trailers came into sight.

When Charlie was sighing out of relief the trip was finally over he was chuckling. "Happy you survived? Have I been that unbearable?" "Uh... well... if you hadn't tried to press me for driving and singing... it could have been a halfway decent excursion." "At least to me it was an interesting experience." "Really? Why?" "Because I think you came pretty far." "Meaning?" "Meaning: For somebody who once didn't even know our name it was amazing to see you now can at least sing one of our songs inside out. I'm proud." "Of yourself, I guess." "No. Of you." He sounded serious for a change and it put a smile on her face. 'I won't tell him now it's not just that one song I do know from A to Z', she thought to herself. "Don't get overexcited about this", she said instead. "It's just that one song." "Tell that to the marines", he replied smirking. "And even if you're not lying, for exception... you'll learn them all in no time." "I don't think so." She couldn't stop teasing him but he didn't let her provoke him this time. "I do. I'll teach you personally, if necessary. For it would throw a bad light on us you being the only one around not knowing each and every lyrics. I'm thinking about adding this to our contract." "No, you wouldn't!" "Ha-ha... watch me!" Her sideglance was scrutinizing and she sighed. "Yes... you would." "Oh yeah. Just because... I can!" His grin was quite self-satisfied and she decided to drop the subject when they arrived at the trailers.

He got out of the car and said: "Thanks for the ride. Was fun, all in all, wasn't it?" "My definition of fun slightly differs but... at least it wasn't as worse as I expected in advance." "Mh. I think I can subscribe to that. See you later. And don't come home late, honey!" Before she could reply he was gone.