30 - Late Night Talking

"Would you mind me to open the second bottle?" Eddie asked. She gave him a skeptic look. "Noooo... but I'm not sure if I shall drink on. In fact... right now I think I could use some fresh air... and a cigarette. Pull me up, Fisher... please."

He helped her to get up and watched her swaying to the chair she'd put her clothes on to get her cigarettes. "Wanna join me?" "Sure. But just to keep an eye on you. You seem to be pretty weak at the knees. Don't want you to go overboard."

They went out on the balcony and Charlie lit her cigarette. Eddie leaned against the parapet and was watching her. "So... now that you know you like Ryan... what will you do about it?" She shrugged. "As a consequence the most decent decision would be to cancel the contract and leave." "Well... there wouldn't be exactly a mutual agreement if you did." "I know." "And... running away's never been a solution to anything."

"Wise words, Fisher", she taunted him. "Yet it seems to be the only reasonable thing to do. To face him day by day in the knowledge I won't get anywhere..." "Mh. I wouldn't say that. I know he likes you, too. A lot." Charlie took a nervous drag from her cigarette, inhaling intensely. "And I like coffee. A lot." "Matches pretty good, huh?" She pulled a face. "Seriously, Ed! I think I'll take the chance to vanish as soon as he's off to L.A. tomorrow."

He sighed. "See... I wish I could tell you some certain things. Things that might... cheer you up a bit. Or... encourage you." She stared at him. "But you can't." "No... I can't. The codex, you know?" "And you KNOW - you can't fob off a woman with insinuations, Eddie Ray Fisher!" He frowned. "It's impossible, I'm expected to be discreet - and I've already said too much!" "Have another drink, for to my taste your tongue's still too tight!" "And I'll keep it that way!"

She finished her cigarette. "What would you want me to do to make you talk? Shall I seduce you?" He laughed. "Well, as much as I would like that... We got to trust each other." "Huh? We? Oh, you mean... you and your band of brothers?" She sighed. "Old boys' networks never fail." "Who're calling old boys here?!" They were smiling at each other. "I cherish your loyalty", Charlie murmured then. "Even though it's to my disadvantage. Does he pay you a bonus for this devotion?" Eddie shook his head and was serious, all of a sudden.

"I've got my reasons", he said secretively. "Oh great. Something else you're not allowed to talk about? Ryan really runs a tight ship."

"Actually, quite the opposite", Eddie answered very cryptically. "He's the most generous friend you can wish for. And in a way... he saved my life." She looked at him curiously. "Can you at least talk about that?" she wanted to know. "How did he save it?" "He let me stay in the band", Eddie answered. "He could've kicked me out - and I think he was very close to do so." "For what reason?" "Charlie... please... haven't things happened in your life you'd rather forget about?" He sounded tortured.

She took his hand. "It's OK - you don't need to tell me if you don't want to. C'mon, let's get back in and have one last drink before we go to bed." They got back in again and Charlie poured them a large glass each. "Not bad, huh? The bottle's almost empty... but this stuff's still hardly working on me today. Wonder why that is... Cheers again!" "Cheers. Charles?" "Yeah." "Is there anything you'd like to forget about, too?" "Oh... you noticed... I gave up too soon on my question, huh?" "Yeah." She sipped on the Bourbon before she answered: "Yes, there is." "Would you care to tell me about it?" She leaned into him and gave him a quick kiss. "If you dare to tell me why Ryan had been close to give you the chop... I will." "Charlie... I'd rather like to tell you in the darkness. It's really nothing I'm proud of." "Right... take your glass then, let's go to bed and we'll turn out the lights. If you really want me to confess what I'm trying to forget about... it'll be easier with the lights out for me, too."

The bedroom was dominated by a huge four-poster bed. Both looked at each other. "Wow", Eddie said. "Won't tell you what I'm thinking now." "Broad playground?" "And so many different options what to play! Interested?" "To be honest..." she gave him an almost shy smile, "my mood's much better than some hours ago. I'd be available for some... fun." "Great!" He smiled. "I'm in - give me 15 minutes in the bathroom!" He was about to leave but Charlie grabbed him by his shirt. "Kiss me goodbye first..." He followed her invitation more than gladly, pulling her in and kissing her with passion. "Don't run away, be back in no time. And... don't dare to fall asleep before I am!"