13 - Ryan's decision

"... put them on one bus and that's it!" she heard Ryan decisively saying when she entered the trailer's living room where they all sat around the table except for Ryan himself. He leaned backwards at the desk, tapping his fingers impatiently on the wooden cupboard door. Charlie noticed that he was deliberately trying to avoid to look at her.

She stopped in the doorway, leaning her shoulder against the doorpost and was looking around. "Uh... what's going on, am I interrupting something?", because the guys kept quiet.

"We've just decided to trade the crews. Brent moves out." Ryan said. He finally looked her in the eyes. "You move in." She stared at him. "Excuse me, what?"

"Ah, I think you heard me." "Yeah, I did. Why, if I'm entitled to dare asking for an explanation?"

Inwardly, Ryan was smiling. She could be so inconvenient sometimes. A simple "why" would've been totally enough but she liked it complicated. Outwardly, his face was steady. "Because Brent doesn't snore." Charlie asked surprised: "Huh?" Ryan shrugged. "Drew's complained." Charlie took a quick look at Drew. He avoided meeting her eyes like Ryan did before and was nervously playing with his phone. "Did he?" Charlie was irritated. "About what?" Ryan ironically raised his eyebrow. "About your snoring." Charlie gasped. "I beg your pardon?" Ryan and Drew exchanged glances. Drew said shyly and quiet: "It's true, Charles. I'm sorry but you snore every night, like a chainsaw. I haven't slept in days. Zach and Brian neither."

Charlie looked at them in a shock. From the corner of her eye she saw Ryan desperately struggling to suppress a laughter. Zach and Brian smiled at her apologetically. "You can't do this to me", Charlie mouthed to Zach. He looked down sheepishly. She tried to catch Brian's eyes. He was the only one who faced her openly. "Hey... I really enjoy having you around, Charlie. The whole day through. But if I had to spend one more single night with you on our bus I shall choke you with your pillow. And mine." Charlie stared at him for some seconds, speechless. Then she managed to crack a smile. "Thanks, Bry. At least you're honest. What I can't say about you two cowards", she turned to Zach and Drew, sounding disappointed. "Why the fuck did nobody tell me?"

Ryan made a strange noise, about to lose control. Then he snorted with laughter, his shoulders were shaking. "What?!" Charlie turned to him angrily. "N-n-n-nothing", he answered quickly, chuckling. "No, no... let it out. I must've said something funny, haven't I?" Charlie replied in a serious tone. "Please. I'm impatiently waiting for your view on this situation. We've got three apparently grown-ups here, judging by their age. And yet none of them's got the balls to tell me I'm disturbing their sleep. As always you're the one who speaks up for them. This is ridiculous. And I'm trying to put this in a kind and friendly way, as you may notice. Still... I can tell what I'm really thinking quite as well: This is not what we'd agreed on. I told you once before, I won't accept talking to the guys through you and they mustn't talk to me that way, too. I thought we were clear on this!" She sounded aroused now.

There was a moment of absolute silence. Then Ryan said, dangerously calm: "Are you accusing me of breaking our contract... Miss Hansen?" Charlie replied coolly: "You can bet, Mr. Tedder", catching his eyes. They were exchanging threatening looks for what seemed to be ages, fighting muted. Charlie was stunned when Ryan primarily gave up and dropped his gaze.

"Fine. We can discuss this later. Because that's not the point." He raised his head. "The point is: We've got two busses and we're seven people. I want to make sure everybody's as comfortable as possible because apart from hotel rooms this is the only place we can have a rest, we can relax, we're in privacy. If there's three of us not feeling completely satisfied with the situation it's on me to take care of it and to do what's needed to make a change. I'm absolutely aware my decision means you are the only one who won't benefit from this. And I know the last thing you'd have wanted is to be stuck on the same bus with me. I'll take it... but you're in the minority. And I won't rent another bus just to make you happy... and to allow you to stay away from me as far as possible. As much as you... and me'd love it. You move in. Period." And he rejected himself from the desk, about to walk out.

"Wait!" Charlie almost shouted."I don't want to be a problem to anyone. I can always leave." Ryan froze. He didn't turn around, replying shortly: "That's not an option." He went down the stairs, turned his head and added: "I won't let you go. Deal with it, Charles." The icy expression in his eyes and on his face were giving her a shiver. Suddenly she was afraid of him.