Chapter Four

Chapter Four

Tawnykit pounced at a butterfly. It landed on her nose, and she sneezed, waking up. She looked around for what had caused the butterfly to tickle her, and it seemed to just be a stray tail that had floated out of Aspenfrosts nest. A lot had gone by since the fight with ShadowClan. Thunderpaw and his sister, Clearpaw, had gotten their warrior names, Thunderstorm and Clearsky. Hailkit and Reedkit were now Hailpaw and Reedpaw, with Aspenfrost having Blacklight's kits. She had two, Creekkit and Duskkit. Both were she-kits. To add to the clutter, Poppyleaf had kitted two moons ago, having three kits. Two toms and a she-kit. Graykit, Flamekit, and Willowkit. They had been growing fast, forever straying out of their nests. Tawnykit just decided to go for a walk in camp. She wriggled out from under Sedgekit, he had complained that she had the best fur to sleep on, and exited the nursery. Crisp brown leaves fell from the trees. She pushed the urge to catch one as it fell away. She was nearly an apprentice, and somehow she still wasn't getting as big as the other kits. Aspenfrosts three moon old kits were almost as big as her.

Tawnykit padded to the trail that led out of the camp. She took a peek inside, but unluckily the trail twisted, meaning the other end wasn't straight forward.

"Did you want to go out?"

Tawnykit spun around. Fallenleaf, the deputy, was sitting in the center of the clearing, her tail tucked neatly over her paws. "I-I was just looking."

"I could take you out,if you wish to." She offered.

"Wouldn't Skystar get mad? Won't he be angry?"

"Not if your with me." Fallenleaf stood up, stretching.

"Should I go get Stormkit, Sedgekit and Sparrowkit?" Tawnykit stood up too, ready to dash back into the nursery.

"Let them sleep." Fallenleaf murmured as she started through the tunnel. Tawnykit gasped in excitement. She bounded after Fallenleaf. "Where did you want to go? Do you know anything from the elders tales?" Fallenleaf asked politely.

"I know about the big willow." Tawnykit said.

"Then I must take you there." She said, starting to race forward. Tawnykit bounded after her, soon catching up and matching Fallenleaf step for step. "When did you get so fast?" Fallenleaf asked, shocked.

"I don't know." Tawnykit answered numbly. She'd always been the fastest of her denmates, but she had never known HOW she had gotten this fast.

"And how old are you now?" Fallenleaf asked, marveled by Tawnykit.

"I suspect six moons soon." Tawnykit tried to remember. Now that she thought about it, she wasn't really sure.

Fallenleaf stopped short. "The dawn patrol!" She flicked her tail at Tawnykit to follow her. They soon met Applefire, Blacklight, Birdwhistle and Clearsky.

"What's wrong?" Fallenleaf asked, worried.

"There's-there's a badger." Clearsky puffed, out of breath.

"Let's go report it." Fallenleaf dashed off, with Tawnykit racing after her, staying hidden in the bush.

~~~~~~~~~~~

"What will happen?"

"Will it come to camp?"

"The kits!"

"It won't come to camp, frogbrain."

"How can you know?"

"Silence!" Skystar flicked his tail irritatingly. "How far away is the badger?" He turned to Blacklight.

"Nowhere near camp, Skystar." Blacklight confirmed.

"Very well. We shall not worry about this badger until later, if it poses another threat towards us." Cats started to depart, until Skystr waved his tail for them to come back. "I have something else to do."

Cats stared at him with shock. What else could he say?

"I want to appoint two new apprentices."

Who?

Then it hit her.