Chapter Twenty-Seven

Tawnyflame shuffled her paws uneasily. The moon was almost high enough for her to touch her nose to the moonpool. Nettlesplash sat next to her, lost in thoughts. Tawnyflame had left Applefire in charge of camp while she was gone. Tawnyflame was snapped out of her thoughts as the MoonPool lit up.

"Go ahead." Nettlesplash seemed to have seen it too. "It's time."

Tawnyflame held her breath as she touched her nose to the cool water. Everything melted away into darkness...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tawnyflame found herself standing in StarClan's grounds. She could recognise the cats were going to give Tawnyflame her nine lives. Skystar came forward, followed by Minnowtail, Redheart, Bluestorm, Sedgepaw, Fallenleaf, Gorseclaw, Grayclaw, a dark brown Tom who was smaller then her, and a dark gray Tom.

Skystar stepped forward. "With this life I give you hope. Use it to never give up on your clan, and see the bright side of things." Pain rippled through Tawnyflame. She could see a tiny yellow orb, glowing in the black. "Is that hope? I'll never lose sight of it, I promise."

Minnowtail came next. "You've come so far without my help...but I wish I could've walked with you longer. With this life I give you love. Use it the way a mother uses it for her kits." Minnowtail's life sent pain and agony through her. Was this how it felt when your kit died?

Bluestorm walked up behind her. "I'm so sorry I missed your warrior ceremony. And now your leader. Size doesn't count, and it never did with you. With this life I give you strength. Use it to keep your clan together, even at the toughest times." Bluestorm's life flashed before Tawnyflame's eyes. She saw a black Tom, a glint of claws, and a flash of red. It felt like fire was burning her, enveloping her under its red hot limbs. Bluestorm finally appeared, and Tawnyflame had to steady herself against the horrible nausea.

The dark gray Tom came next. "I am Sootfeather, Bluestorm and Rainstorm's brother. I have come to give you your fourth life. With this life I give you pride. Wear it well for your whole clan, and the others, to see." A magnificent feeling, like she had been leader through wonderful seasons, passed her. Pride had enveloped her, letting her light shine on the clans.

As Sootfeather padded away to join Bluestorm, the dark brown apprentice padded forward. "My name is Brackenkit. I am your brother who was born before you, but I never made it. I was a stillborn." Tawnyflame gasped. She had a brother? "With this life, I give you intelligence. Use it to guide your clan well." His life soared through her, a burning flame, a cool sheet of ice.

Gorseclaw padded over to her gruffly. "I suppose you remember me. I shall present you your sixth life. With this life, I give you tireless energy. Use it to keep your clan going." Stunned by the cool life from Brackenkit, Tawnyflame was unprepared for the bolt of pain that appeared like lighting and disappeared as quick.

As Gorseclaw left, Fallenleaf came forward. "As RiverClan's deputy before you, I am here to give you a life. With this life, I give you truth. Use it to tell your clan what's right, not the lie." Fallenleaf mewed, touching her nose to Tawnyflame's head. Suddenly, she got the feeling she had to tell her clan mates something, but wasn't sure what to say. "I'll always say the truth." She promised.

Who would give her the eighth life she needed? She watched as Redheart walked up. "My brother thought all was lost when he lost me and your mother. But he has raised you well, and I am proud to give you your second final life." He stooped down to touch her head. "With this life I give you loyalty. Let it help you understand your clan mates and make the best decisions." As blackness enfolded her for her life, she felt trapped. A pair of lights shone at her from somewhere, and a burst of pain that lasted for a heartbeat happened.

"Is that what it felt like when you died?" She asked.

"Yes. Bear it well, and protect your clan from it." He padded away.

Joy filled Tawnyflame as she saw Sedgepaw stride over to her. "I'll let you in on a secret. Skystar said that I earn my warrior name and provided a warrior ceremony up here. I'm Sedgesplash now." He whispered, then said in a bigger voice, "with this life I give you perseverance. Use it to keep on going, though hard times for your clan has befallen you." Sedgesplash meowed, and darkness enfolded her again. As saw lighting and a crack of thunder. "I will make it through the storm." She vowed.

Then the StarClan cats started to cheer. "Tawnystar! Tawnystar!"

Tawnystar smiled. "I am Tawnystar, leader of RiverClan. And I vow to keep my clan safe, using all of my power." She closed her eyes, to meet Nettlesplash. "I am Tawnystar."