Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty

Tawnyflame sighed. If only they had a deputy to help them. She was padding with Reedstorm, Thunderstorm and Whiteclaw carrying Gorseclaw's limp body between them. They had found him in a pool of blood, one tiny slit across his neck. He had been gathering herbs along ShadowClan border, and they suspected it was ShadowClan who were the culprits. Tawnyflame had sorrowly picked up the herbs he picked before he died.

"I'm so sorry." She whispered to Reedstorm. Gorseclaw's brother had a son, also his and Hailheart's father.

"It's fine. At least he hadn't been out through empty days of being an elder." Reedstorm shrugged. "Nothing can last forever."

"Our love can." She murmured. "StarClan can't hold it back."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Gorseclaw!" Nettlesplash yowled at the sight of his limp body. Tawnyflame sighed. Nettlesplash had lost her sister and mentor, all in two days.

"All cats old enough to swim gather beneath SkyStone to hear what I have to say." Skystar yowled.

Cats slunk out of their dens, the moonlight bathing their pelts. Murmurs of shock and curiousness rippled through the cats.

"I know that RiverClan has lost three fellow warriors in three moons, but we are still a clan, and however hard it is, we have to stick together. RiverClans deputy holds us together with me, and every leader after me, and even before. Now is the time to choose RiverClan's newest deputy." Skystar searched the crowd for a minute, looking at the cats.

"Tawnyflame shall be our new deputy."