Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen

Tawnyflame felt happy. She had caught three carp, and two mice. The hunting patrol had been gone half the day, and the elders wouldn't believe their eyes once they saw how much they caught. The water was freezing, so only Tawnyflame went in to catch carp. But then again, she had long fur.

"Did you want to share a carp?" She asked Reedstorm after they dropped their prey off.

"Sure." He grabbed the carp and she followed him over to where they usually ate together, the little patch of dirt Tawnyflame had trained herself on as a 'paw.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tawnyflame licked her jaws. Carp was most definitely her favorite prey. A cool breeze ruffled her pelt. "Leaf-fall is coming." She sighed.

"I hear Sunkit's getting a mentor today. I wonder who it'll be." Reedstorm meowed.

Tawnyflame licked his ear. "Your so good I bet it's going to be you." But little did he know, Tawnyflame was going to get her.

"No, your better then me! I'm too afraid to dive for some carp!" He playfully pushed her over.

Tawnyflame jumped on him, pushing his back to the ground. "I guess so."

He laughed before pushing her off. "The gatherings tomorrow night. I wonder if your coming?"

Tawnyflame shrugged. "I would rather stay at camp for dawn patrol the next day."

Reedstorm frowned. "You've never been to a gathering, have you?"

"Never." She confirmed.

Creekpaw appeared. "Oh!" She blushed. "Sorry, but Skystar called a meeting. I was supposed to go get you." She dashed back into camp.

"Let's go." She nudged Reedstorm before standing up and walking back into camp.

Reedstorm walked at her shoulder. "There's Sunkit."

Tawnyflame looked at the tiny kit. Her golden fur was slicked down, and she sat calmly. But the shine in her eyes gave her excitement away.

Skystar flicked his tail. "Today we have all gathered for the naming of a new apprentice. Sunkit, step forward." Tawnyflame couldn't imagine walking up on her own. Thankfully, Stormkit and his brothers were close enough in age to go with her. "Sunkit, until you earn your warrior name, you shall be known as Sunpaw. Your mentor will be Tawnyflame." Skystar turned to Tawnyflame. "You had a great mentor in Cloudheart, and I expect you to pass down the skills she taught you." Tawnyflame could hear his thoughts, and what Splashheart has trained you too.

Tawnyflame could still feel the excitement of becoming an apprentice. She bent down awkwardly to touch noses with the tiny apprentice.

"Sunpaw! Sunpaw! Sunpaw! Sunpaw!" The clan cheered her name. Fallenleaf, Bluestorm and Sedgepaw gone, but out of the shadows rises a new warrior.

Reedstorm licked her ear. "I predict the future."

"I told you I was better." Tawnyflame laughed.

Nettlesplash's worried shriek filled the noisy camp. "Where's Gorseclaw?"