Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

Tawnypaw woke up, a lump in her stomach. Ever since Reedstorm moved out quarter of a moon, she had always felt cold during the night. He had asked Cloudheart to go fishing or battle training with Tawnypaw but Cloudheart insisted on doing it herself. Tawnypaw slowly walked out of the Apprentices Den, paws dragging like stones. Hunger gnawed at her belly, but instead she lay down outside the nursery. Closing her eyes, she remembered when they were kits, and Hailkit and Reedkit would always pick on her. But then Stormkit would lead his brothers into battles against them.

"Hey, wake up."

Tawnypaw's eyes flickered open as soon as she heard the soft voice of Reedstorm. "Hm?"

He licked her ear. "Cloudheart said we could go fishing today. She's got a cold."

Tawnypaw smiled. "Finally."

"You wanted her to get a cold?" Reedstorm asked, bewildered.

"No! Mousebrain!" She stood up. "We get a long awaited time together."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Reedstorm peered over the rock. "Are you sure you just hook one?"

Tawnypaw laughed. "Have you ever gone fishing before?"

Reedstorm shook his head. "Blacklight said that he wanted to train me into just fetching forest prey."

"Wow." Tawnypaw couldn't imagine life without water. "Do you want me to show you?"

Reedstorm took a step away, but forgot about the rocks. He slipped, tumbling into the water.

"Reedstorm!" Tawnypaw was fully panicked, but she kept it out of her mew.

Reedstorm appeared, spluttering. "I guess I shouldn't do that?"

Tawnypaw purred. "That's step one."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tawnypaw walked with Reedstorm, their pelts brushing. She had caught three carp and two mice. Reedstorm had caught a water-vole, three mice, and one carp.

"There you are!"

Tawnypaw gasped in shock as Cloudheart was only a whisker away. "What do you mean?"

"The whole clans been-" she got cut off by a horrible cough. "- looking for you."

Reedstorm tensed. "You came to me and said that I could take her fishing!"

Cloudheart growled. "Watch out, pretty boy." Then she turned around, stalking away to the medicine cats den.

Clearsky appeared. "I'm so sorry. My mother is almost an elder."

"I heard that!"

Tawnypaw nodded. "Thank you for explaining."

Clearsky walked away, looking guilty.

Reedstorm nudged her. "Lef take thif to the fref-kill pile."

Tawnypaw purred. "Ok." She picked her prey back up, and carried it to the fresh-kill pile.

"Did you want to share?" He asked her, pulling out a carp.

"Carp's my favorite." They then padded over to the apprentice den entrance, beginning to eat hungrily.

Rainstorm burst into the clearing. "Skystar!"

Skystar bounded out of his den. "What's wrong?"

Rainstorm gasped for breath."A twoleg monster finally used the road!"

Skystar flicked his tail. "And why is this concerning?"

Rainstorm again gasped for breath. "Sedgepaw got hit!"