chapter twenty-three

I wake up in the morning smiling over at Everly, who is sleeping next to me peacefully with my blankets all over her tiny body.

I get out of bed and take my shower, getting out and getting dressed in my completely ripped jeans and a plain black t-shirt. I tie my hair up a messy bun and put my glasses on.

I walk out of the bathroom and smile at Everly who was still sleeping and i walked down stairs and saw Nate making pancakes.

"that's really sweet of you Nate, but i'm not eating that time of food right now" i give him a 'sorry' look and he laughs.

" i know, i cut some fruit up for your detox water" i smile at his words and grab a glass water bottle and put cut up strawberry's, lemon's and some mint leaves.

I add water and put the cap on, shaking the bottle and opening it, opening the water bottle. I take a drink and put the cap back on.

"your cellphone was buzzing earlier" I nod and walk out of the kitchen and into the living room, walking to the table that has my phone on it.

I turn it on, seeing text messages from Jenna, i slid the message and unlock the phone with my finger and the messages pop up.

From: Jenna Portmen @ 6:30am
"I'm gonna be in LA in about two hours"

From: Jenna Portmen @ 7:56am
"i'll be at your apartment in like 10 minutes, i know it's early, but is it okay?"

I look up at the clock and see the time, 8:15am, i quickly look back down at my phone, quickly responding.

To: Jenna Portmen
"Of course!! Pancakes will be waiting"

I smile and lock my phone, unplugging it and walking into the kitchen and sitting on the stool, smiling at Nate.

"i'm sorry about pushing you, i know it hard and i shouldn't have been such a jerk" I nod and unscrew the cap on my water and take a big drink.

We sat there in silence and watching him make pancakes and i'm occasionally taking drinks of my detox water. When there is a knock on the door.

I stand up and walk down the hallway, opening the door and seeing Jenna. "Jenna!" I smile and she steps in with her bags.

"here, follow me up stairs and i'll show you, your room!" She nods and i grab two of her bags and walk up stairs, opening the bedroom door.

"this is gorgeous, thank you so much" I nod and place her bags in her closet, smiling. "you hungry?" She laughs, nodding.

"Aren't i always" i laugh and we both walk down stairs and into the kitchen where Nate has three plates of Pancakes sitting on the island.

One for Jenna, one for him and a smaller plate for Everly, who isn't awake yet.

"Jenna, this is Nate.. Nate this is Jenna" Nate shakes her hand and sits down across from us and begins eating his pancakes.

"thank you for making me pancakes, Nate" He nods and continues eating, not saying anything.

"do you live here?" She looks toward him then back at me, almost asking with her eyes if that was a question to ask.

"i do not" he simply answers, unsure of what to say next. "I'm going through a divorce and now a custody battle, Nate's the 'dad' of Everly" i shrug.

One thing i love about Jenna is that she never asked too many questions, she heard what i had to say and just nodded, understanding enough.

Suddenly Everly was screaming and i was out of my stool and running up the stairs into my bedroom and see Everly laying on the floor crying.

"oh baby" i walk over to her and pick her up, kissing the side of her head and walking down stairs. Meeting Nate at the bottom of the stairs.

I hand her to Nate and he walks away. I finish walking down the stairs and sit down on the couch next to Jenna

"Tomorrow is gonna be really hectic for me, so just a heads up" Jenna nods, smiling "anything i can do, just let me know!"

"Actually, could you babysit Everly?" She nods, "of course i would so love to babysit her"

"thank you so much, i'm seeing Nate in the studio and doing some shopping" Jenna smiles and stands up. "i think i'm gonna go unpack and take a shower"

I nod and turn the tv on, playing How I Met Your Mother and placing my feet on the coffee table.

Nate walks into the room with Everly in his arms and he places her on the floor and places her toys in front of her.

Nate throws me my phone and i unlock it seeing i was tagged in a instagram photo and i look at it.

@jportmen: "crashing at my best friends home and she went all out"

I smile, liking the photo and logging out of Instagram, and continue watching himym.

-----

I open my eyes and come to the realization that i fell asleep watching tv and nobody is in the living room with me, i stand up stretching my arms above my head and walk into the kitchen seeing Jenna, Everly and Nate sitting in here.

"well, good afternoon sleepy head" Nate smiles and continues cooking dinner. "I slept through lunch?" Nate nods. "actually, it's 6:30" My eyes go wide.

"you're kidding me, i slept that long and you managed to be quiet?" Jenna laughs and nods. "I took Everly to the park and Nate went home for awhile." I nod and sit down, smiling at Everly.

"dinner smells bomb" Nate smirks and continues making the food and i grab Everly and place her in my lap. I haven't held her like this in forever and i really miss my sweet baby girl.

I've been so stressed out with all this paperwork and lawyers that i haven't been spending much time with Everly. Tomorrow i have to go and buy present because it's coming upon that time of the year again.

Everly's birthday is in two days and i'm throwing a party at the Jack's house and John is gonna be there, i'm unsure how i feel but that's why it's at the Jacks, so then they can throw him out if he causes anything.

"Nate, tomorrow my plan is to come by in the morning and see the morning shesh in the studio, then i'm going shopping with the Jack's for party stuff and some christmas shopping." I take a deep breath, "Jenna is watching Everly, but i might be gone all day so when you get out of the studio, will you come here and relieve Jenna from babysitting duties?"

Nate nods, "I'll be done around 3:00, but if you need me before that, you can just call me and i'll leave early." He directs towards Jenna, pulling something out of the oven and placing it on the counter.

"I think i can manage a couple hours with this cutie" Jenna smiles towards Everly who's head is on my shoulder. "she'll sleep most of the time anyway" I laugh and place her in her highchair.

"i'll feed her!" Jenna smiles and takes the plate from Nate, feeding her. "i think i'm gonna eat and then take a shower" I take my plate from Nate and begin eating.

"Nate, you can stay and take a little nap before the studio" Nate takes a bite of his food and looks towards me, questioning it. "I mean, you're going to the studio at 12:00pm and you have been up since 7" Nate nods and continues eating.

I finish eating and clean my plate putting it into the dishwasher and i begin cleaning Everly up. "I'm gonna give Everly a bath, you should go to bed Nate." I grab her and walk towards Nate, i look back at Everly.

"Give daddy a kiss" Everly flings herself from my arms towards Nate and gives him a kiss on the mouth and pulls away smiling as i walk away.