Will You Stay Away Forever? 15

Chloe slowly climbed the wooden staircase that led to the vintage penthouse. She couldn’t help but smile when she faced a large door which had random graffiti sprayed all over it. She knew she found the right apartment.

Chloe hesitantly knocked on the door, but no reply came. Her fingers found the doorbell and she pushed the small button. Moments later, the door opened to a narrow crack and Chloe immediately recognized Melody’s clear, blue eyes.

Chloe?” Melody gasped and opened the door wider. The strong scent of turpentine pierced Chloe’s nostrils and made her a bit dizzy.

“Hey, Mel.” Chloe smiled weakly and followed Melody inside.

“Wow! It’s been ages!” Melody said while stripping the nylon cloak she had on, which was heavily stained by paint. She tossed it aside and then freed her sleek black hair, letting it fall to her shoulders and back.

“It has!” Chloe nodded while she looked around Melody’s house. It was a typical artist’s residence. Enormous sheets of canvas were stretched across the tall walls, covered by Melody’s breathtaking masterpieces. The vacant spaces on the wall, which were not covered by art, were occupied by old guitars.

“This place just screams ‘Melody’!” Chloe smiled, making Melody chuckle and take a look around.

“It does, doesn’t it?” Melody smiled weakly and messed up her asymmetric fringe.  She then proceeded to rubbing her large, tired eyes.

“Is this a bad time?” Chloe asked nervously.

Melody shook her head before motioning for Chloe to follow her to the second floor. “No, not at all! I’m just exhausted, that’s all. I’ve been working on a huge piece all night!” Melody explained while the two of them stepped into Melody’s studio.

“Oh, you’re doing some custom work?” Chloe asked curiously and her eyes never left Melody, who walked up to the corner of the room and examined an abnormal sized easel.

Unfortunately, the painting had its back facing Chloe and she couldn’t see what Melody was working on. “Nah, I’m still freelancing.” Melody said and easily reached for a large curtain that hung from the ceiling.

Melody was tall and lean, almost 5’11 in height. Back in the day, it almost amused Chloe how much taller than the guys of A7X Melody was, but not nearly as tall as Jimmy was.

Chloe didn’t come to see Melody for the purpose of talking about Jimmy. She simply wanted to check up on her, be supportive.

“So what brings you here? Aren’t you supposed to be in Norway?” Melody asked curiously while picking up paint brushes off the floor and soaking them in paint solvent.

 Chloe shook her head, “I’m back…sort of.” She chuckled, “I came back with Matt and Jade.”

Melody nodded silently, “How was the wedding? I’m sorry that I couldn’t make it…Things have been…hectic around here.”

“Don’t worry about that.” Chloe reassured her, “And it was beautiful, they’re in Italy now for their honeymoon. They should be back soon though, to record the album…” Chloe said uneasily.

“I see…” Melody said while drying her hands off, “I was just wondering because you weren’t here for the…funeral.” Melody gulped and looked away quickly.

Chloe’s guts churned, she could sense the accusation in Melody’s reserved voice. “Mel, I didn’t know…” Chloe whispered softly and walked up to Melody. She took Melody’s wrist to stop her from frantically cleansing the brushes.