FIVE

CHAPTER 5
CONNECTION

RAENA remembered the first time her uncle took her on a mission and how he had shoved a blaster in her hands as she stood in front of a stranger, directing her to "kill the bastard

RAENA remembered the first time her uncle took her on a mission and how he had shoved a blaster in her hands as she stood in front of a stranger, directing her to "kill the bastard." She had known that she was born to do this and she had trained so long for it, but in that moment, reality struck her like giant boulder. She couldn't do it; how did killing another come so easily?

But she had raised the blaster at the crying stranger's head anyway, and with a emotionless expression, she had pulled the trigger.

The situation she was in now didn't seem any different than her past. She was forced to follow a trooper to the weapons area of the ship, alongside General Hux. Before she could question her newfound freedom, the storm trooper shoved a large blaster at her chest and left. Raena gripped the heavy blaster with two hands as she turned to the general beside her.

"This freedom you now have is a given, but it can be taken away – as well as your life – just as quickly. Don't fuck it up." He warned, a stern finger pointing in her direction before he stared down at the console in his hands. "If our sensors are correct, she is heading with a group to the basement of the ship. When you leave this area, take a right and find a staircase down the hall. That should lead you in their general direction."

She nodded at Hux's words and soon followed them down the hall. As she searched and dodged the heavy amounts of incoming storm troopers in both directions, whom she guessed were searching for the same group, she felt a inconsistent banging in her skull. It felt as if someone was trying to push their way in, and she had to take moment to hold her head against the pounding. She clearly wasn't in control of her own mind.

That was when she heard his voice.

Can you hear me?

She was obviously going bonkers, and she stood up to continue her descent to the basement, crossing a variety of hallways in the process. The voice kept repeating it's question, until it started to yell, I KNOW YOU CAN HEAR ME!

She stopped in her tracks, holding her temples with the edges of her digits. "Commander Ren?" She presumed, looking around as if he could hear her.

I've connected my mind with your own to contact you at a moment's notice, he explained. Keep watch for the girl and follow my instructions if I need you.

Raena groaned. "I would appreciate it if, for once, you would get out of my head."

We do what we need to in dire situations.

If she wasn't so tired, she would've been livid to know that the commander of the First Order was infecting her mind with his own. But she wanted this day to be done; it had been the longest of her life. Never before had she thought she would've been kidnapped and forced to pledge herself to the First Order all in one day. Things like this just didn't happen to people like her.