FORTY TWO

CHAPTER 42
NO ONE'S EVER REALLY GONE

CHAPTER 42NO ONE'S EVER REALLY GONE

"WELL, it's about time you got here."

Gerardo grinned at Raena's statement. She sat in the corner of the room, which was lined with sound-proofing on all walls. There was only a plastic bench on the side of the room, where Raena sat. Her hands were placed behind her back and her hair sat in shiny strands across her forehead. "Honestly," he said, kneeling down as he approached her spot, "that's the greeting I expected from you."

Raena smirked. "Try to get these cuffs off me. They're digging into my skin."

She turned slightly with her back facing him. Gerardo stared at the metal cuffs with a confused expression. The metal pulsed with a blue light, which could mean many things. They could possibly shock or taze him completely if he touched them. He bit his lip, wondering how to remove them. After flipping her hands up, Gerardo noticed a small keypad on the right side of the cuffs. The stormtrooper must have locked it with a password.

"There's a keypad on here for a code." Gerardo said, mind racking with questions. "I think that might be how I unlock them."

Raena looked over her shoulder at the cuffs. "Troopers aren't usually very smart," she replied. "Try their name. I saw their distinction on the suit before they threw me in here. I think it was EC-0224."

Gerardo thought that was as good as an idea as anything. He typed in the letters before making a space, and then typing in the submit. He tried to ignore the footsteps he heard rounding the corner to her room as he pressed enter. Almost instantly, the lights on the cuffs shut off, and they fell to the ground in front of Gerardo.

"We did it!" He exclaimed, and then the harsh reality before them appeared. "What do we do now?"

Raena was going to speak when someone called out, "Hey! You two, freeze!" But the stormtrooper in the doorway was too slow, for Raena Nhagy was already on her feet and shooting a blaster bolt in his direction. The trooper fell to the floor with a slam, and Raena looked to Gerardo, a grin spreading on her features. She jumped forward, heaving the stormtrooper up so she could retrieve the blaster rifle from their hands.

She walked back to Gerardo, cocking the rifle back. "How did you even get here?" She asked with a muddled expression. "Did you have some kind of like gut feeling I would be taken hostage again by these asswipes?"

Gerardo laughed before his face turned serious. "I heard you had a meeting with Snoke yesterday." He shrugged. "Judging by how most of your meetings with him go, I expected the worst. My first inclination was that you were on this ship."

Raena sent him a genuine smile, slapping her hand on his shoulder and rubbing it. Her eyes were like a warm honey, bearing into Gerardo's dark clouds and making the ends of his mouth tug upward. "You're a true friend, Gerardo," she said. "Thank you."