FIFTY THREE

CHAPTER 53
THE HOSTAGE

RAENA was vibrating with nerves as the shuttle landed roughly on the grassy terrains of Kef Bir

RAENA was vibrating with nerves as the shuttle landed roughly on the grassy terrains of Kef Bir. She was sweating. It felt like a thousand suns were beating down on her as she was pressed closer and closer to the rest of the stormtroopers around her. Perspiration dripped down her face. She was going to throw up. Another voice came through the loudspeaker: "We've just landed on Kef Bir. Rebels have been located a mile away. Soldiers, have your weapons ready. Doors open on three."

Her breathing became erratic. The voice blasting through the speaker started to count down, and she couldn't even focus on that, due to the ringing in her ears. The troopers crowded around held their blasters close to their chest. Raena instinctively followed their lead, but her movements were more sloppy. Helmets were turning in her direction for a short second. They could just tell she wasn't one of them, but no one had enough time to talk. Raena took in one deep breath, trying to calm her nerves, but nothing was ever enough. She had no plan and she was stuck in this stupid, fucking suit of armor. She just needed to do something. She needed to follow Kylo and end this before he could –

The doors flew open, welcoming in a huge gust of wind that almost sent everyone back. The troopers burst through the exit, running down the ramp as it connected with the ground. Raena fell back when the wind hit her and crashed onto the floor of the shuttle. She shouted expletives, but no one could hear as every stormtrooper departed the shuttle and ran for the rebels. Placing her hands on top of her helmet, Raena did her best to shield herself until every trooper left the shuttle. Someone had stomped their boot into her side, but besides that, she was in the clear.

"Ow," she groaned while getting to her feet. Huffing underneath her breath, Raena slowly stretched out her legs and lingered by the shuttle exit, watching the stormtroopers race for a large group carrying old Imperial weapons and mounted on wild orbaks. Within an instant, the group was running for the young and inexperienced troopers, and they were trampled over before they had a moment to scream.

She turned her head to the left. Kylo was driving off towards a mountain of wreckage on a speeder. It looked like the ruins of the second Death Star, and she prayed to the gods to be wrong.

She needed to take off this armor. Raena yanked off the helmet first and wiped away the thick coat of sweat trickling down her face. Pulling off each piece of armor was almost as hard as putting it on, but soon enough, Raena was left in a black t-shirt, pants with built-in knee pads, and her favorite pair boots. She looked down and noticed her shirt had a First Order patch on the sleeve. Raena ripped it off before heading to the cockpit.

Blowing a few tangled pieces of hair from her eyes, Raena half-expected to find someone in the pilot's seat. Her hands formed into fists as she pulled back the doors that led to the cockpit, but found no one there. At least, no one conscious. Laying across the first officer seat, blood dripping from his nose, was Major Sawyer. He was the one talking through the loudspeaker while Kylo had been piloting. He must've knocked Sawyer out before escaping towards whatever wreckage was ahead.