TWENTY ONE

CHAPTER 21
TO WIN

THE Resistance guards shoved her out of the main entrance, throwing her blaster and weapons belt as she fell to the damp ground below

THE Resistance guards shoved her out of the main entrance, throwing her blaster and weapons belt as she fell to the damp ground below. She landed on her knees with a thud, glaring back at where the guards should have been, but the doors to the base were already closed.

Raena clipped her belt around her waist and hooked her blaster to the end of it, wiping the sweat and dirt off her forehead in the process. She blew out a sigh, wondering which direction she parked her pod. Assuming it was the next day or even more, Raena kicked the ground at the thought that the First Order definitely knew she failed her most important mission to date.

She started trudging West of the headquarters, her weak leg causing her to limp the whole way back. A walk that had been twenty minutes before turned to an hour, for Raena was too weak to even function.

When she had finally reached the pod – which looked like it had been ransacked by local goons for it's hidden treasures – Raena leaned her back against it. She gripped the edge of the ship with her life, trying her best to keep her legs from collapsing. Her wrists stung with fresh cuts from the rope she tried to break free from, while her head ached.

She couldn't believe it: she had failed.

•••

Raena landed bumpily inside the First Order hanger after she alerted them of her return, even with her mind feeling as clouded as ever. It was probably a bad idea to pilot the pod when she had been feeling nauseous and dizzy – and yes, she did throw up during the ride – but she needed to get back and explain herself.

The pod just about crashed into another as she landed on the fleet, and Raena hastily threw off the helmet on her head. She pushed her legs out of the small ship, spotting Gerardo and a few crew members sprinting towards her. Raena found herself smiling at the sight of the strange cadet, and as she stepped out, she ended up hugging him tightly.

And then she vomited.

Gerardo let out a disgusted scoff as the assassin puked to the side of him, an inch to the right of his shoes. She stood back up, wiping the residue from her mouth before greeting, "Hey, Gerardo."

The crew members worked in back of the two, trying to secure the pod as Gerardo raised a brow. "Are you –?"

"Listen to me," she interrupted, suddenly holding his cheeks firmly as her eyes bugged out in a crazed expression, "I – I fucked up, Gerardo. I fucked up really bad. I failed the mission."

"You what?"

Raena put a finger to the cadet's mouth. "I couldn't kill General Organa."

"Have you gone completely insane?"

From the worried look in her eyes, Gerardo guessed he was right. "Probably," she muttered.