FORTY EIGHT

CHAPTER 48
NO TRUST

WITH tensions growing aboard the Steadfast, it was difficult for Raena to keep her mind at ease

WITH tensions growing aboard the Steadfast, it was difficult for Raena to keep her mind at ease. Not only was she constantly berated by Kylo about his empress proposition, but she still had to fulfill her promise to Leia, which was becoming increasingly harder as the days went on. Kylo's anger was skyrocketing. She tried to center herself, tried to forget that everything would soon blow up in her face. It was the only way to get through it. She practiced her meditation more, even though that seemed like a lost cause. It always replayed the same way: her, standing in the dark, on end pulsating a yellow light, being dragged into the blackness by a strong, red string.

Kylo made damn sure everyone was following his orders now. He led a thorough search across the Expansion Region for Rey. The First Order got a tip through a spy that the Millennium Falcon was spotted near that area. They had come up with nothing so far – much to Raena's relief – but everyone knew that Kylo was certainly ready to find that spy and pummel his face in for the wasted effort. He still had hope, though, and that was perhaps the scariest thing.

He was becoming more ... erratic. Since the search for Rey and her friends had commenced, he wasn't letting anyone stand in their way. Not Pryde, not Sawyer, not even Hux. Everyone was a nuisance until they found Rey and he killed her, under Palpatine's orders. Raena noticed that had suddenly had a nervous tick to him: he would tilt his head for the shortest second if anyone questioned his actions. She witnessed him talking to himself often, as if he was arguing with a ghost of some sort. He was suddenly hard to read and unreliable. Kylo became a ticking time bomb and Raena didn't want to be there for the explosion. Knowing her luck, she might be the cause of it.

She was seeing the Knights of Ren more often than not. Kylo always seemed to have them around him, almost like a group of bodyguards, as he strode through the Steadfast. Raena had never been too acquainted with them and she wasn't scared, but something felt so different when they were standing in front of you, with their dark mask, pitch-black capes, and swords that towered over their heads. She almost found herself longing for the days of Snoke's rule. At least he had the audacity to keep their creepy figures off the Supremacy and Starkiller Base.

Speaking of those creepy figures ... Raena almost stopped immediately in her tracks when she spotted Kylo's usual stalk with the Knights of Ren following in tow. She was currently walking beside General Pryde, who felt the need to update her on all the safety precautions they were taking in the case that the scavenger and her rebel fugitives showed up. Raena wanted to tell him that it was stupid to try to outsmart the Resistance, and she also already knew about the safety upgrades they made in the past few days, but she held her tongue. General Pryde was the kind of man who just liked to hear himself talk. It wasn't the first time he tried to mansplain her.

Raena did her best to ignore Kylo's presence, focusing all her attention on Pryde's annoying voice. She was hoping they could just pass by each other with no issue, but then, General Stark rounded the corner, a long necklace of rattling beads clutched in her grip. She approached Kylo, head held high, and offered the necklace to him.