NINETEEN

CHAPTER 19
TWISTED

GENERAL Hux's fingers twitched as he punched in the required code to the supreme leader's cold room

GENERAL Hux's fingers twitched as he punched in the required code to the supreme leader's cold room. A sudden chill ran down his spine, and he wasn't sure if it was from the wind that blew when the doors opened or that his fear was so evident on his face. Raena had just left a few hours ago for her mission on the Resistance headquarters, and the general had a feeling that Snoke wanted to see him at this moment for that reason.

He approached the supreme hologram in long strides, finally standing in front of it with his hands behind his back. The general never thought he would be afraid at just a mere hologram; the damn leader wasn't truly near him to begin with. But his fingers still trembled as he nodded his head and greeted, "Supreme Leader Snoke, what have you called me in for? I was told it was urgent."

"As it is, General," the aged creature scratched his chin before his large black eyes landed on Hux. "I feel like I've been ... lied to."

Hux gulped.

"But you, General Hux – you have never lied to me. I am sure of this." His chunky fingers tapped against each other. "So this is why I must ask you an important question, one that I know you – and only you – will answer me truthfully. I feel as if I have been fed fabrications since the sudden mission to Ahch-To so many moons ago."

The general waited impatiently as Snoke's eyes searched his own. Hux wondered if he could smell his fear.

Snoke sat back in his chair. "What has genuinely been going on with Commander Ren?"

"I am not sure if I understand," Hux spoke quickly.

"He has told me that he feels the Light returning again, and I ordered him to concoct the most recent mission. Although, he hadn't told me why. You are close enough with him, so why do you think his right to care has resurfaced?"

Hux found himself looking away. The supreme leader's keen eyes watched him swallow down the lump in his throat.

"Answer me, Hux."

He looked back at his leader, his mouth quivering as he begged it to stay shut. He couldn't stop them – the words, they were going to come out. It had to stay a secret. What would Snoke do if –

"It's Officer Nhagy," he blurted, a long breath forming into the cold air.

Snoke quirked a nonexistent brow. "What about Officer Nhagy?"

"He cares for her, Supreme Leader." Hux went on, shutting his eyes from his leader's hateful stare. "I fear ... I fear our most-trusted commander has fallen in love."

"I thought with all his training that he had the stamina to suppress his lust, and most importantly, care." Snoke sighed, to Hux's surprise. "I guess I was wrong."