FORTY

CHAPTER 40
LET IT ALL DIE

RAENA allowed a single gasp to float from her lips and into the air

Snoke's mouth fell open in shock, and Rey was instantly released from his hold. She fell to the floor, choking on air as she turned to see the Skywalker lightsaber cutting through Snoke's torso. Raena's hand holding her blaster fell limp to her side, like she had completely forgotten that she was so close to killing Kylo Ren – like always. Snoke looked down at the saber slicing through him, and Kylo used the Force to slide the weapon out and into his hands. Snoke's sitting body was cut in two, causing the first half to fall off the throne completely. Dark blood began to pool around him.

Rey caught the saber in the air as Kylo sent it to her. She stood up, looking at Kylo with the same amount of disbelief as Raena. The assassin took a step forward, just enough so that her shoulder was almost touching his. Their eyes met, and for the first chance in a long time, they both held sincerity for each other. "What have you done?" She whispered.

"No time for questions," Kylo muttered before shoving her behind him. Raena felt the wind rush out of her as she was thrown in the middle of them. When Kylo ignited his lightsaber, she saw it all at once: the Red Guard, charging at them with the speed of a thousand suns. The three stood with their weapons out, waiting for the oncoming storm. Raena brought her blaster up again, though she wished she had her rifle in that moment.

The Red Guard came at them like lightning striking the sky. Suddenly, the room was filled with either blaster bolts, electricity, or saber sparks. Raena held her breath as she fought off the lethal Red Guard, kicking one out of the way with the heel of her boot before shooting at them. Rey, with her new skill set of training, was impeccable in her attacks, though it didn't take an idiot to tell that she was scared more than ever. Kylo dodged each attack without issue and punched every guard when he had the chance.

Raena felt a dark presence behind her after she sent a round of blasts towards a guard, and she turned just as another guard grabbed her. They lifted her into the air, causing her to shriek and kick out her legs. The Red Guard's Force pike encased her in their hold, and Raena felt the energy just inches from her face. She tried to move her arm to shoot him, but it was no use. Her immortality left her feeling useless, though she did not want to feel the pain of a Force pike stunning her. She screamed again, maybe she could –

A bright red saber came into view, shoving the tip into the guard's helmet. Raena was dropped to the ground and the guard holding her did the same, except his body was now lifeless. She looked up at Kylo with wide eyes and felt shock enveloping her as she witnessed him put out his hand. After a short moment of hesitation, she took it, allowing Kylo to hoist her up.

They stood back-to-back: Raena shooting blaster bolts like she was extremely trigger-happy, and Kylo slicing through the Red Guard's armor with his saber. Rey fought at the other end of the room, killing off yet another guard angrily. The throne room was now lit up in flames, droplets of Snoke's blood dotted the floor around their feet.