THIRTY FOUR

CHAPTER 34
A NEW LEAF

CHAPTER 34A NEW LEAF

SOMETIMES, deep in the night, Kylo Ren would wake up in a cold sweat. He was known to do this often, seeing as he's prone to nightmares. What fool isn't? But Kylo's nightmares were different than most, because his nightmares were usually Ben Solo's memories. They were memories of a past life he wished to forget, but knew he never would. His recent nightmare felt as if it were yesterday.

He had been sleeping soundly in a rough, patterned cot. His hut was warm, yet the fire he made before falling asleep was dying. Nevertheless, Ben Solo was wrapped tight within his covers, clutching them around him. Drool seeped down onto his chin as his dark curls spread across his pillowcase. It was a silent night, filled with nothing but the chirping birds outside.

That was when he heard it.

Ben awoke, startled at the sudden sound he heard. His eyes flashed open in surprise. A bright green hue shined down on the side of his face, but he dared to not move for a moment. Ben swallowed down the lump in his throat, knowing the exact sound and color before him. Someone was going to kill him, but he only closely knew one person with that color light saber.

He sat up quickly, locking eyes with his uncle, Luke Skywalker, hovering a light saber over his head. Sleep clung to Ben's eyes, but he could see his uncle's twisted expression so clearly. Luke was going to kill him. He sensed the great power within him. He was going to kill his own nephew.

Luke's expression the changed. His face softened, and he lifted the saber out to shut it off. However, his movements were too slow. In one fast motion, Ben used the Force to fetch his own light saber on his bedside table. The saber was in his hands within seconds, and he ignited it, fighting off Luke's attack. Luke didn't have time to turn off his weapon, so he clashed his light saber with his nephew's. Ben's face muddled with confusion, but they all knew the power he had in him, and if Luke Skywalker wanted to kill him, that surely meant something.

Ben raised his other hand, balling it into a fist. Doing this, he used the Force to make the hut crumble around them. This sent Luke flying out of the hut, into the muggy environment. With a heavy breath, Ben ripped the sheets away from him and stalked into the night. He headed for the temple with a burning hatred.

Kylo tried to shake his wary thoughts. He rubbed his eyes before taking the glass of water from his table and downing it all. The room was becoming too stuffy. He needed out. Without a second thought, he pulled on a new pair of pants, a warm tunic, and clean boots. Placing his hand on a console, his door opened fast, allowing him to walk into the brightly lit hall.

He had expected to walk himself to the mess hall. Kylo usually never ate there, in fact, it was an embarrassment to see him there. But at this hour, no one was usually there, and being in the empty mess hall – a place where many of his cadets and coworkers sat everyday, chatting away – made him feel centered. He planned to get himself another glass of water, but his feet were taking him in an entirely different direction. Kylo walked up a long staircase, his boots squeaking against the tiles. He gripped the pole beside him with ease, though it was probably because he still felt like he would fall asleep while walking.