FORTY FIVE

CHAPTER 45
NO QUESTIONS ASKED

SHE was up bright and early the next morning

SHE was up bright and early the next morning. Her alarm hadn't even blared its first ring as she slammed her hand down to shut it off, ripping the sheets away and jumping right out of her bed. Granted, this wasn't her usual wake up time. While Raena did have to wake up fairly early every day to make her morning rounds, today was even earlier. She was dressed and ready – adorning her usual black outfit, scarf, and tight braid – before anyone could see her.

Slinging a bag across her chest, Raena looked both ways to make sure no one was around and headed out of her room. She walked a few corridors down to the sergeant wing, where Gerardo's room was one of the first few doors on her right. It probably would've been smart of her to brief him on their little trip today, but then that would ruin the fun, and you only had so much of that around here. She had thought of going alone, but Raena assumed it looked less suspicious to be going with someone. Grand Admiral business was always suspicious.

She knocked twice on his door. No answer. Gerardo hardly got up past eight, so this was expected. She knocked a little harder this time and received nothing. Pressing her ear up against the door, she heard his loud snores reverberate through the surface. Raena groaned, banging her fist against the door until she heard someone stumbling on the other side. Eventually, the door slid open, revealing a very tired and distressed Gerardo.

He blinked, adjusting his eyes to the light. "Nhagy," he muttered sleepily, rubbing a hand over his eyes, "what are you doing here? What time is it?"

"Doesn't matter," she replied. "I need you dressed and ready in five. No questions asked."

Gerardo leaned against the door frame and pulled at the collar of his white t-shirt. "Why? It's too early. I have things to do today –"

"Not anymore. I'm in charge of the ship while Ren's gone, and I overrule your duties for the day. Now get dressed." She jabbed a finger into his chest, and Gerardo staggered the tiniest bit. "And what did I say about no questions?"

"Fine, whatever," he sighed, closing the door once again.

Raena turned away and leaned back against the side of the door. She looked around the corner, making sure no one was coming, and hugged her arms tightly around herself. Before she knew it, Gerardo was tripping out of his quarters with tired eyes and evident bed head. Raena looked at the time. "Wow, one minute early. You're on a roll this morning."

"Funny," he commented, following her as she took the lead.

The two friends sprinted towards the hangar, checking corners every so often. They were almost seen by a few stormtroopers passing by, but they missed them by going in the opposite direction. Somehow, unbeknownst to Raena, they still ended up at the hangar, and without having to beat anyone up along the way. Raena punched the passcode into the console and watched the doors to the hangar split open before them.