THIRTY THREE

CHAPTER 33
TRUST IN YOURSELF

CHAPTER 33TRUST IN YOURSELF

"WHAT did you do?!"

Gerardo looked up as Raena slammed a tray down on his table. The mess hall was half empty, consisting of chatty cadets and technicians. Raena raised her brow towards her friend, waiting for a legitimate answer. The smell of sliced Trimpian wafted into Gerardo's nose. He wondered what she was talking about, but he wasn't sure how to form the words. He noticed her nostrils were flaring as she sat down on the opposite side of the table. "What did I do exactly?" He finally asked.

Raena looked around the room before leaning in. "You told your little boyfriend that me and Commander Ren were friends," she whispered loudly, voice full of venom. "What is wrong with you?!"

Gerardo's eyes flickered from her to his dinner. "Was I not supposed to tell him that?"

Raena rubbed at her temples. "Are you serious?"

"I don't really see why it's a big deal."

Her eyes snapped opened, and they were suddenly narrowing at him. "I told you before, Gerardo," she said, laying out her hand, "what you saw in that abandoned control room was me and Ren talking. That doesn't mean anything. We were never –"

"Are we friends?" Gerardo asked, frowning her way. Before she could answer, he continued on. "Forget that. You should feel lucky to be a sergeant's friend." He said dramatically, and much to Raena's surprise, she laughed. "And as your friend, I should be able to call your out on your bullshit."

Her face twisted. Raena dragged her knife through the Trimpian meat and placed it in her mouth. "I have no idea what you're talking about. There's no bullshit."

Gerardo rolled his eyes. "Do you think you're slick? Because you're not." He sighed, chewing on a piece of bright blue casserole. "You might have everyone else on this ship fooled, Miss Nhagy, but I can see through it all. I've always had expert vision."

"What are you suggesting?"

He slammed his hands on the table, causing a few people in the mess hall to turn their heads for a moment. Gerardo whispered, "You were having an affair with the commander."

"Shush!" She exclaimed, pressing her hands against his mouth. "Shut your mouth! Someone could hear you."

"So it's true?"

Raena's back slumped. There was no use in lying. Raena knew Gerardo was a sleuth; he was bound to find out someday, and she needed to finally let this out to another First Order member. She held her head in her hands as she muttered, "Yeah, it's true."

Gerardo's concerned expression morphed into a wide grin. He bit his lip, trying to hold in the fit of laughter that urged to come out. "Oh," he drawled, "this is good. I knew I was right! There's been even more tension between you two since you got back. I'm surprised that I was the only one to notice it before."