FOURTEEN

CHAPTER 14
REPEATING HISTORY

SLIPPING back on the helmet that gave him the only identity he knew, Kylo Ren made his way from his chambers in the early morning to meet with Supreme Leader Snoke

SLIPPING back on the helmet that gave him the only identity he knew, Kylo Ren made his way from his chambers in the early morning to meet with Supreme Leader Snoke. He had left a light imprint of a kiss on Raena's head before he left, who had stayed in his room to keep him company after a dreaded argument had ensued the night prior. He felt the yearning to not leave her as he noticed the way she was tangled in the dark sheets, and the urge to cancel the visit with his leader made him want to punch himself in the face. There was no way he could lie to Snoke any longer about what had been going on with him, or maybe he knew already.

He unlocked the several doors before him, walking up to the hologram that was tapping his wrinkled fingers together. "Good morning, Supreme Leader," the commander greeted.

"Has it been a good morning to you?"

Kylo became perplexed at his question, noticing it was too general. "Yes," he answered after a moment of hesitation.

"I've been ... thinking lately." The supreme leader hummed, and Kylo felt his insides twist. "Your progression within your training has improved, but I can't help but feel that you've been ... what is the word? – distracted."

Commander Ren tried to hide the shakiness of his hands by interlocking them behind his back. "How so?"

"I can't quite pinpoint it," the leader shrugged. "But ever since a few days before you were injured on that mission to Ahch-To, there was something strange going on with you. I can feel it within you; you're different."

"I can assure you, Supreme Leader, that I am the same." Kylo nodded to his mentor in front of him. "I admit that my injury made me a bit faint after the accident, but I am fine now and willing to continue my training."

The hologram flickered as Snoke put his hand out to stop Kylo, who was beginning to walk forward and remove his helmet. "I will ask you one last time, Ren: what is going on?" His beady black eyes burned into the commander's, and Kylo found himself looking down from the sight. "You're growing nervous; that's unlike you, Commander. You don't have the right to be nervous –"

"I'M FINE!"

The supreme leader leaned back in his chair, nodding at his apprentice. "Very well, then."

•••

Raena had woken up by a snore that morning, realizing that the bed she was in was too comfortable to be her own. She sat up and rubbed the sleep from her eyes, her mind coming back to the reality that she had stayed overnight in the commander's chambers. Yesterday's clothes still hung on her body, leaving her stiff as she stood up and checked outside of the room, making sure no one saw her leaving.