Chapter 39

3rd Person POV:

   It has been more than a year since Luke Hemmings has seen or talked to Brinley Tomlinson. He has desperately tried to move on with his life. And he has mostly succeeded.
   But for the rest of the tour and after Where We Are, he suffered severe depression that caused him to take time off from making music and hanging out with his friends. Fans of 5 Seconds of Summer have been rapidly multiplying.

   After they released their hit single "She Looks so Perfect" in 2014, their fan base was twenty times what they were in 2013. They have international  fans all around the world. 5 Seconds of Summer came back with a bang after their short break after their tour with One Direction.
     The fans were not aware of Luke's depression or Brinley's absence from their lives. Luke couldn't speak to Louis anymore without immediately becoming more heartbroken because they looked too much alike. After the tour, they all went their separate ways.
    Nobody had the courts two being up Brinley after she had left. One Direction still remains in minimal contact with her but not much. She's moved on in London, without Luke.

   Luke tries everyday to forget and not think of how it sounded when she whispered through the phone to him.

I love you.

The words seemed almost drugged, like he was only hallucinating them. He never expected her to love him back.
But slowly and roughly, he began to recuperate and recover from the major heartbreak that came from losing his first and only love.
The different countries separated the two for the longest time. They haven't talked since he called her that day, needing to hear if it was true.

   Luke accepted the fact that she needed her space and had to leave. But one thing always bothered him. She had never mention what sickness she had or why she needed to leave the country. He had worried about her from time to time, wondering if she had thought about him as much as he used to think about her.

   But the times went on. And 5 Seconds of Summer finally released a full album to their millions of fans. Their other hit song, Amnesia, was their second most popular song and was at number one on the charts for some time. Calum had never told the boys that Brinley had helped wrote the song along with Ed Sheeran.
    Everyone around them knew their names. Their youth was bombarded  into flashing lights and award shows.
   At award shows, Luke kept his distance from One Direction, who often showed up at those events. He kept his gaze on the floor instead of greeting them with hugs.

More recently, Luke has forgotten about Brinley. He barely remembers anything about her. He's been involved in partying with his band and focused on his many followers on social media platforms. He works on his guitar playing and getting along in the world of famous people.

   When Brinley got back to London, she immediately relapsed on her cancer. She also coincidently suffered from panic disorder and depression. She lost most of her hair from the treatment and stayed at home for the most of her days. She never went back to school. She took online courses and graduated early. She didn't need the humiliation that almost resulted in her self harming last time at school about her ailment.
She grew stronger each day and regretted everything and nothing about that tour. She regretted not taking her pills, for one. She also regretted giving Luke false hope for a relationship between them. She never wanted to play him and his gentle heart.
She didn't regret living life like there's no tomorrow. The feeling of freedom was addicting, yet calming in a sense.

She never heard from any of the other boys in 5SOS, just like she told them not to contact her. She didn't even know if they showed Luke their letters or if Luke even knew that they had gotten letters as well. Of course she still talked to Niall, Harry, and Liam.
Zayn leaving the band was a very hard time for her. She had always been friends with him and he was a good listener. She knew that Zayn had felt tied down and caged by being in the band. Their fans were devastated by the news. Louis and Brinley did patch up the holes in their argument but were never the same. Louis was partially to blame for her depression.

She was so depressed because missing Luke made her feel empty inside. Being with him felt like playing with fire. Fighting with him was like to do makeup in the dark. Impossible and never a good outcome. But missing him was so much worse than fighting with him.
Everyday she would like to call him and hear his friendly, familiar voice saying her name. Every day, she was desperate to fly to where ever he was and not leave his side ever.

But life goes on. And so did Brinley, even though the little things that reminded her of Luke cut deep scars in her heart.
Just like she had hoped, she had seen their songs on the radio and on their faces on the news. She knew when they were on talk shows or on tour. She never went to see them because she knew she would never leave if she did. She strayed away from a lot of magazines, social media drama involving them and all the news about rumored girlfriends or fights.

One thing was for certain, though.

Brinley would never fully recover from this.

A/N: hey fam wuz good? Okay byyeeeeee😑