Chapter 40

Brinley's POV:

"Hello?" I picked up my phone and answered the call. It was my best friend Annabelle who was calling me. She's a bubbly, hyperactive blonde with blue eyes, basically born to live in LA.
"You, me, concert tonight." She said in a straight voice.
"Um, what?" I asked, very confused by her words. "Concert?" I was always down for a concert, doesn't matter which band or singer.

"Yes, concert! It's your birthday present from me!" She squealed excitedly over the phone. I had to hold it at arm's length away from my ear because she was being so loud.
"I can't tonight." I sighed, even though I hadn't been to a concert in ages. "I've got studying to do." I internally groaned at the thought of even studying.

"Studying?" She shrieked. "It's the middle of summer, Brin, school doesn't start back up for a long time." I took a peek at my calendar hanging next to my bed. A large star was written over July 16th, my 19th birthday, tomorrow.
"Yes, I an fully aware of what season it is, thank you ever so much for that reminder." I rolled my eyes sarcastically at her through the phone. "Besides, you know I want to get into a good college!" I protested.

"Sure, little miss 'I skipped half of junior year and all of senior year to graduate early'." She said in a mimicking tone. I tugged at my short light brown hair. I was lucky my hair grew as fast as a weed. It grew back straighter this time.

"Whatever." I huffed. "I'm still not coming tonight." I said to her. "And that's that."

I don't know how, but she somehow dragged me along to this concert. I didn't even feel well. My stomach was churning like waves and my skull felt like it was about to burst. She had pulled me along in her convertible on a two hour long car trip to the concert. She refused to tell me what band we were seeing. "It'll build character." She said to me.
That made me in charge of the radio. I blasted Blink-182, All Time Low and Panic! At The Disco. Listening to all this music reminded me of my younger days and my emo phase. I'm pretty sure everyone had a tiny emo phase when they get obsessed with a screamo band.
   Annabelle hates my taste in music and I hate hers. Hers is too bubblegum pop. She listens to all the popular songs like Justin Bieber and One Direction. From what Louis had told me, Justin Bieber is a big fake who just wants girls. Maybe it's the media's perspective but I don't know if I fully agree with that.

    "This music is repulsive." She groans over Lost in Stereo. I stop jamming for a second to glare at her.
    "So is your face." I shot back, sticking my tongue out at her childishly. She just rolled her eyes.
    "Why won't you tell me who we're going to see?" I whined, turning down the volume of the music. "If it's my present, then I should know!" I protested, running a hand through my hair.

   "Nope! It's a secret." She giggled and focused her icy blue eyes on the road. I folded my arms and focused my eyes on my phone to try and calm my nerves. If my anxiety gets too high, I start to get shaky and have panic attacks. Those always end in tears and frustration, not to mention the feeling of a death mark over your head.
   Something just feels wrong. I don't know what it is or why I can feel it, but it's not good.

    I don't need any more bad news in my life. I have enough rejection letters from colleges, thank you very much. I plan on going to UCLA and maybe studying abroad. UCLA has a very good film major and a lot of musical assets as well.
    My mind wandered off and I started to think about what I'd been through in the past few years. I've had a rough time dealing with not going back to school and One Direction at the peak of their career. Louis is never home and my younger sisters aren't much help for me either. Mum doesn't understand me much. I always felt closer to Lou than anyone.
    After I'd left the Where We Are tour, everything went spiraling into downhill chaos. I quit school, lost my hair, disconnected from my family and cut off every one of my friends in my life.
    I slowly tried to rebound and I'm getting better by the day. I can't be pulled down now.

   "Let's listen to some different music, shall we?" Annabelle suggested. She slid in Taylor Swift's new CD, 1989. I did like this album, even though she and Harry has some bad blood.
That was a terrible joke.

    I especially like the message of Welcome to New York. It reminds me of the free feeling of doing whatever you want and no one there to stop you. It reminds me of tour with One Direction.
    A hardened look came across my face as I thought of the boys. I quickly shut my eyes and shook my head. No, my brain spoke to me. You've gotten over them. You don't need him.

Of course, I've heard them everywhere I go. They are really popular now, just like I always knew. I also have heard the song that I played with Calum on the radio now. I'm happy for them, I really am. But I don't want anything to do with them.

"We are here!" Annabelle trilled. I gulped and got out of her car, shoving my phone into my pocket. "This is gonna be so much fun!" She said loudly.

"I seriously doubt it." I grumbled under my breath as she dragged me to the entrance.

A/N: oooo who do you think is at the concert? Comment! Okay byeeeee💀