Chapter Eighteen: Riversong

My den was quiet, all the other cats in the camp had fallen asleep long ago; but I couldn't, my mind was set on the prophecys not just the darkness and swiftness one but the one about Nettleblossom. she had been so kind to me and I had to solve this for her before what ever the thorn was came and did what it was prophesied to do.

Without Splashstar here to help me I felt as though I was alone in this den, sure Darkpaw was there with me, but he hadn't had much sleep due to the fact that he had been alone in the camp for the time i had been out helping Blackheart, several cats had gotten white-cough over night after the gathering and Leafstorm had several wounds from his fight with Tigerfang.

Since that fight most of the clan stopped talking to him, but that still didn't mean that I was back in there trust, whenever a cat needed to be check for something it was Darkpaw they called to, the only cat that seemed to trust me was Nettleblossom, probably cause she was new as well, or at least newer then the clan-born cats.

"Riversong?" Darkpaw said quietly as he sat up from his nest, " You've been pacing all night, whats wrong?" I hadn't notice him being awake.

"Go back to sleep Darkpaw, you need it more then I do." I sighed in response.

he shook himself and walked over to were I was now standing, "no until you tell me whats wrong, I wont be able to sleep with your pacing anyway."

"Fine.." I grumbled "Starclan has sent me two prophecies. I don't know what either of them mean."

Darkpaw looked puzzled, "what were they?"

"The first one was 'Only The Darkness Of Thunder And Swiftness of River Can Save The Howling Wind.' and the other was 'A blossom shows beauty... yet thorns can easily break it's peace' the second one was given during you ceremony, the other has been given to me multiple times throughout my life, when i was an apprentice, and again recently. I still don't understand it though."

"well, i don't understand the second one.. but i think i have an idea for the first one. '...The Darkness Of Thunder...' could mean me, my name is Darkpaw after all and i think that their is a Swiftpaw in Riverclan, i met her at the gathering. She's Bluepaw's sister."

i closed my eyes and imagined the prophecy in my head, what Darkpaw said made perfect sense and i felt like i had just had several moons of weight lifted from my back. "Thank you Darkpaw, I don't know were you are getting your medicine cat skill, because I know that its not from me. " I purred, then opening my eyes I saw him settling back down in his nest.

"Now get some sleep," he sighed as he drifted back into sleep.

I knew he was right, that I needed some sleep: but I still had one more prophecy to figure out before it was to late to save her.

Quietly I walked out into the clearing and let myself gaze around, soft snores drifted from the warriors and apprentices dens but one other sound disturbed the quiet. I watched as Amberstar walked across the clearing and greeted me with a node.

"I see you cant sleep either." she murmured

"I needed to get out and think about some things." i replied

"Well I needed to talk to you any way so since your up do you mind?" she asked

"Go ahead, I'm not returning to my nest for a while yet anyway."

"i wasn't sure if you knew yet, but I lost another life while you were away." she sighed "A fox attacked a patrol i was on. Darkpaw did an amazing job though and cleaned my wounds so none of the others noticed."

"So this is your last life?" I asked

She nodded "It is, I'm glad you told me about Leafstorm though, it would have be a horrible mistake if he became leader... so many of our and other clans warriors would have been fighting in battles that would not be needed to be fought."