Prologue

Setting her paws one by one, a black she-cat slid silently through the undergrowth. She was barely visible against the night, her pure coat perfect for blending into the shadows of her surroundings as only her vibrant blue eyes reflected the pale moon's light.
            She paused, her ears twitching as she sensed the movement of prey above her. Looking up she saw it, a blue-bird sat in the tree just above her on its lowest branch, completely unaware of her presence as it lingered there. The she-cat adjusted her footing as she prepared herself for the kill, her weight distributed to her rear paws as she leaned back putting as much weight as she could manage into the leap.

          Before her paws could hit the branch, her teeth met the birds neck. Quickly and swiftly she made her kill, her land just barely shaking the leaves of the branch that she now stood on, its bark swaying beneath her as it gradually settled to bear its new guests presence.

          The black cat's nose twitched as the scent of another cat reached her, quickly she climbed further into the tree in an attempt to blend in and hide her own scent as the stranger approached.
          It wasn't long before she could see him, his pale grey pelt stood out easily against the night's dark surroundings. With his scent now even stronger the black-she cat knew he did not belong in this territory though the proud stride that he walked with seemed as though he felt otherwise.

          The black she-cats eyes narrowed as more and more shapes appeared behind the grey tom, she could tell that this was not a peaceful party looking for only a meeting. She watched as the tom turned and motioned for the group behind him to follow as he began to lead them straight for the she-cats camp.
           Quickly, the black cat climbed the tree rushing to its tallest branch before she let out a high pitch yowl in an effort to warn her clan. Wind suddenly rushed behind her blowing the tree and shaking all of its branches, her claws grasped at the branch beneath her in an effort to remain steady as she knew that her position had been given away and that she would soon be overwhelmed. But soon she hoped, that her clan-mates would come to her rescue and catch the enemy patrol in their path before they could reach her camp.

          "Blackheart, I had hoped I would run into you soon- though this seems a bit sooner then expected." a deep voice of a cat suddenly behind her purred, with the dark tone of a threat lacing his words. 
          The black she-cat turned to face him, her lighter blue eyes meeting his deep blue ones as she did. He flash of fear coursed through her as she could see a dark shadow behind the pale tom's gaze. "Don't worry." He murmured, as he took a step forward, "I do not intend to take your life."

           "Whitestar!" Blackheart hissed as she took a step back, though she was now standing on the end of her branch and the wind still continued to try to shake her from it, "Why do you dare bring a patrol this far into Thunderclan's territory, as a leader you should know better then to do this."            

        "Oh, you will find out soon enough." He laughed menacingly as he made a motion in flicking his tail. Blackheart looked at the branches below her and she could now see them filled with the members of his patrol, it would be impossible for her to simply flee from the fight.
          "However..." The tom paused as he stepped forward again, now not even a paws length away from the black she-cats face. She could smell the stench of his breath has she returned her gaze to meet his. "I obviously couldn't attack your clan tonight after the little show you've just put on here." A sickening grin grew on his face as he stepped closer still, forcing her to try to step back as well, her paw being left to grasp at open air. 
        "So I guess we're just going to have to settle for some smaller revenge..." And with those words he took another step forward, and with this step Blackheart fumbled on the branch trying to maintain her grip but failing as both her rear legs flailed momentarily in the air before her for-paws grasp slipped, sending her falling through the air. 

       Her eyes closed tight as she waited for impact before the sickening thud of her body hitting the cold forest floor sent her into a pitch black space where could feel and hear nothing.

         Bird song echoed around the she-cats ears as darkness still surrounded her, hunger clawed at her belly and she could feel pain surging up her spine. She could feel her whole body covered in scratches, the thick warm feeling of blood stuck to her fur as she laid on the ground, her legs spread about her in a strange fashion. 

          She took a deep breath, as her eyes slowly flickered opened. Her vision was blurred as she tried to focus on the ground before her but failed.

          Blood dripped down Blackhearts face and onto the tip of her nose, only making the coppery stench of it even stronger, she shook her head in an attempt to rid herself of it which she quickly regretted as it sent the world about her spinning and caused pain to shoot through her whole body. She closed her eyes and dropped her head back to the ground, a sickening splash sending more blood onto her face as she realized she was laying in a small pool of her own blood mixed with rain water.
         She realized she could feel drops of rain settling on her pelt and seeping into her many scratches. Opening her eyes again she slowly let them try to focus again though the grey clouded sky still seemed too bright for her and she was forced to squint.

        Looking herself over slowly she felt dread creep into her mind as she realized that both of her rear legs had been broken, though her fore-legs were scratched and wounded but not as far gone.  
           She lifted her head again in an effort this time to call for help, hoping that one of her clan's patrols may be near enough to hear her, but she was shaken as no sound came from her, not even a soft whisper. She could feel a dryness in her throat and a dull throb of pain as she tried again to call for help, still no sound came.
          Eventually she stopped even trying as the pain in her throat became too much to bare, nausea began to mix with her hunger as she realized her voice may be gone for good. She rested her head on her fore-paws and closed her eyes for a moment, hoping that a member of her clan would come to find her soon.

        An image flashed into her mind, one of her still laying beneath that tree, only of her dead, wounds flowing with maggots and her flesh aged and rotting. 

        Her eyes flew open, and she swallowed as she felt her nausea only growing worse. She could not just lay here any longer and wait to be found. She had to make it home to her clan and family, even if it meant dragging her self the entire way.

         So she began to pull herself forward, cringing in pain but still forcing herself to go on.