Chapter Fifty: Riversong

My mind began to grow dark with worry as I felt that perhaps Tigerfang and Badgersoul had won this battle. The striped tom's claws dug into my back as I chose to stop listening to my surroundings, I couldn't bare to hear whether or not my sister chose for me to live. Echos began to surround me, built from the screeches of the cats around me; if this battle took any longer it was likely that the tribe would be wiped out, and in a way...

        It would be my fault.

        Tigerfang's words echo'd in my mind from what he had said before about the battle ending when I had been killed.

        Perhaps it would be worth it, if it was to save the tribe after all. Maybe they weren't my true home and family, but it was obvious that it had been left up to me.

        Murmuring out loud, I recited the prophecies I had been given that had lead me up to this point;

        "Only the Darkness of Thunder and Swiftness of River can save the Howling Wind, The River will be led to a new, by the darkness of the forest around it.

        It's last Song will be played or the Forest will fall"

        Pain crashed down on my head as Tigerfangs voice broke into my thoughts, "Shut up!" He snarled as he pressed his claws into the back of my head.

        "I have the swiftness of river.." I responded as though in a trance, my voice soft, not even attempting to overcome the sound of chaos around me.

        "I said Shut Up!" He snarled again, taking my head and slamming it into the cold stone.

        "Tigerfang!" Came my sisters gasp as she stood watching, frozen to the ground by her paws it seemed.

        My mind was made up, as a struggled to force my head against Tigerfangs claws just enough to meet my sisters icy blue gaze before speaking. The pain of claws digging into the back of my head didnt matter anymore, it would all be gone soon.

        I forced a grin as I looked at her, trying as hard as I could to make it look as though I had lost it, as though I was the villan in this case. "Fine!" I laughed, my voice cracking as I forced the word out. "You got me, Tigerfang is right, I Lied to you!"

        The words tasted vile as they began to sound more even.

        I watched as Blackhearts eyes filled with rage and glazed over, almost as though as some part of her didn't want to believe what I was saying. But it was still obvious, that with her lack of memories she would still fall into whatever trap it was that Tigerfang had laid out for her.

        Perhaps in this case though... I would be able to take better care of my sister from a distance, after all, Splashstar had up until she was reborn as Blackhearts kit.

        She took a step back, braceing herself as though the shock of my sudden change in appearance.

        "Well?!" I cackled, swallowing in an attempt to keep back my tears; the last thing I had ever seem myself doing was hurting my sister in the way that I was forced to now. "Aren't you going to kill me?"

        Blackheart stood in silence a few moments longer, closeing her eyes as she seemed to be thinking it through. I could feel Tigerfangs dark joy radiateing from his pelt as he waited for her responce.

        "I KILLED YOUR KITS!" I snapped, worried that tribe members would die while she took her time to process her thoughts. "WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO ABOUT IT?"

        I could feel the eyes of others begining to burn into my pelt, the tribe that I had called my home for the past moons was listening to me as well. Shock came from them as well, they didn't know who to believe of course. How could they?

        I was nothing more then a stranger that they had taken in because of what their leader thought was a prophecy, and I wasnt even their savior in it anyways.

        I was nothing more then the River, flowing through its path, and carrying with me the one who would be their savior.

        And now that I had fufilled my part, these would be my final words.

        The rivers last song...