Chapter Twenty-one: Blackheart

• Dedicated to Kealey Coma

I watched as my four kits scattered themselves among the warm rocks that made our camp. I had hardly spoken to Tigerfang since the kits had hit three moons old. he and the others in our clan were always training. I often heard them muttering about what they thought the threat could be that they had been sent together to fight.

Suddenly a kits screech echoed across the new camp. I leaped to my paws and ruched to where the sound came from.

What i saw was Greykit splashing in the deep part of the river. my tail lashed in fear as I leaped into the river after her. though i had no idea how i was going to save her considering I could barely swim i knew that i had to save her quickly.

Finally the blurry color of her fur was visible in front of me, she had stopped struggling and was drifting downward, towards the bottom of the river, luckily the current wasn't as strong here as it was closer to the Riverclan border. If it had been she would have been gone my now.

I grabbed her gently in my jaws and began to rise slowly to the surface, the icy water breaching my forest made coat easily and making my skin underneath begin to go numb from its touch.

My jaws parted as I gasped silently for air the moment my muzzle broke surface, I felt some other cat grasp my scruff in their mouth and haul me to the warm bed of rocks where my other three kits were standing. I stood shakily and set Greykit down to be warmed by the rocks as i began to lick his pelt the wrong way, in hope of saving him from the freezing waters death grip.

"Are you ok?" I heard Snowstar ask kindly as she sat with my other kits, trying to sooth them.

'im fine.' I said with my tail as i tried to warm my kits cold body. 'thank you for saving me.'

"Blackheart?" I heard Foxheart ask as she walked over, apparently she had come with Snowstar. "let me check Greykit. I'll need to take him to my den."

I nodded and let her come closer to my kit and I looked at Snowstar 'where is Tigerfang?' I asked

she looked down at her paws as she replied "hes training with Silversong and Pinefall, I was hunting and i saw you in the water just as I had come back with the prey for you and Foxheart."

My heart thudded painfully as I looked back at my kit. Foxheart had opened his mouth and gently pressed his chest, letting water come out but the kit just barely moved, his chest hardly moving in his struggle to breath.

'Please,' I prayed to Starclan 'don't take her from me..'

Then i slowly gathered Middnightkit, Snowkit, and Splashkit and led them to the nursery.

-----

It had been so long since Greykit had fallen into the water,Foxheart had told be that my other kits needed me yet i felt as i had left a part of my heart in the medicine den.

Even as the moon had begun to rise Tigerfang was had still not returned and Snowstar had insisted that he needed his training and that he would be back before i knew it.

The three kits had seemed in shock for the most part, though Splashkit was the worst.

I had a feeling that she knew something, she was the reincarnation of Splashstar after all. But before i could confront her she came to me instead.

" I'm sorry Blackheart." she said with a sob at the back of her throat.

'For what?' I scratched on the den floor

"I knew that he was going to die and I didn't tell you." she sobbed quietly

'Hes not dead Splashkit.' I replied as I nudged her fur 'hes just in Foxhearts den' in my mind I shared her worries that Greykit might have died while I was away.

"No, shes dead, Starclan told me so in a dream that one of our clan-mates would die today."

I was about to reply as Foxheart entered the den, a fallen look on her face. "Blackheart..." she started "I need to talk to you in my den."

My heart thudded in fear but i followed the she-cat to her den just the same.