Chapter Twenty: Riversong

• Dedicated to Ryann Farley

"Riversong?" Amberstars voice sounded from outside my den.

"Yes?" I called

"We need to talk." she replied as she walked in.

"What about?" I asked as I walked over and sat in front of her

"About that Riverclan warrior. I don't trust that he just happened to be close by when Nettleblossom fell in the river." she said with a concerned voice. "Has she woken up yet? I need to ask her a few questions about how she fell in."

"Shes still asleep but I'll send Darkpaw to you when she wakes up." 

I knew that Thorntail had been with me when Nettleblossom had fallen in.

"No need." Nettleblossom said from her nest as she sat up. "I'm up. So ask away."

Turning to Nettleblossom Amberstar began her questions "Did anyone actually push you in, or did you fall?" she asked firstly.

"I was pushed." Nettleblossom replied with a calm look in her eyes, "A tom from Riverclan did it."

"Who?" Amberstar gasped "Was it Thorntail?"

"No. It was a scrawny grey tom with the brightest yellow eyes I had ever seen!"

My chest clutched as I interrupted the investigation "It's likely that they were working together though. They might be trying to make us think that our two clans are allies and then attack."

Amberstar nodded "Why else would they have both been so near the incident when it happened."  

Then standing she said "I'll double patrols on that border, I'd like to keep an eye on them to make sure they don't try anything.

Before she could leave I walked up and whispered so Nettleblossom could not hear "I'd keep an eye on Leafstorm as well, after all he did join Windclans side of an argument just a few moons ago."  

Amberstar twitched her ears and back a step away, she narrowed her eyes as if deep in thought and nodded. Once she left Nettleblossom took it to heart to question what had passed between us. "What was that about?" she asked, "looked as though trouble could be rising."

Looking at her I replied. "If only I could tell you how much, but the pain it would cause among the clan would not be worth it." Nettleblossom looked almost fearful for a moment before curling into her nest and falling asleep again.

-

"Darkpaw." I said to my apprentice, "I think it's time you did a bit of battle training. It looks as though we may be expecting something that will require fighting skills from every cat in the clan."

He stopped sorting herbs for a moment and looked up. "I didn't know that medicine cats needed to fight as well."

"Every cat needs to know at least the basic fighting skills. Finish up those herbs and we'll head to training hollow." I said as I put the last of the herbs I had been sorting back in the store.

"Do you think Nettleblossom will be alright?" he asked as he put the last of the yarrow back in the rocks crevice.

"Shell be ready to go back the the warriors den by moon-rise." I said as I led him out of the den.

Once we were out of the camp I began to sprint for training hollow, forcing Darkpaw to try to keep up. When I got to the sandy hollow he was there only a few moments after and when he saw me he dropped down and lay panting for a bit.

"Attack me." I said as I stood in the center of the clearing. 

"Just like that?" he asked, his amber eyes confused.

"Go on then!" I teased "If I were a Shadowclan cat I'd be back with reinforcements by now!"

His eyes glistened in interest and Darkpaw launched himself at me, his paws hit my side and soon he stood on top of me, pinning me down. For a moment I feared that he would unsheathing his claws, for something in his eyes did not seem like his normal self.

"Good," I said as I slipped out from underneath him "Where did you learn that?"

"I think Speckledpaw taught me." he stuttered as if unsure of his new abilities.

"Well seeing as you know such an advanced move, I think that we can head back to camp." I responded. Even though I knew it would be better to teach him something else, something in his eyes made me ready to return to camp quickly.