Chapter Twenty-Seven: Blackheart

The moon had risen three time since I had rejoined Thunderclan. And Foxfur was going to be leaving today since it was the full moon, she was going to come with us to the gathering and leave to her clan when the gathering was over. 

Not only was today the full moon, it was also the day my kits would be receiving their mentors and apprentice names.

Riversong has still not yet returned though, and Amberstar was begining to fear the other clans might find it as a sign of weakness that we had one of our medicine-cats gone and one cat who had returned. 

It was clear that though I had left due to Starclan and my mate I was not yet welcomed completely by Thunderclan, and most cats had not been thrilled about learning to understand my language; though Amberstar had told them it could be a battle strategy and that had helped them be slightly more welcoming to the language.

I Stretched as I stood from my nest and padded out of the nursery, my kits were already scampering around the clearing, most of them seamed to have gotten over Greykits death; they had realized that he was in Starclan and that he would still always be with them. Including today, at their apprentice ceremony.

The only kit not yet over it was Splashkit. I felt bad for her... She still blamed herself for Greykits death though not even she could stop a darkforest cat as a kit, as a fox sure, but not as a kit.

Soon they realized I was waiting and the three of them walked over. My heart ached as I realized Greykit should be here to become Greypaw and to become a warriors apprentice, and Tigerfang should still be Thunderclans deputy, without his strange lightning powers and his quick temper.

'time to wash up before your ceremony!' I said with my tail with a forced smile as I grabed Snowkit and began to fiercely lick her, trying to clean every scrap of dust and moss off before the ceremony.  

I did the same for each kit, holding the firmly as they struggled to get away. Though my heart still felt as though claws had sliced it open and left it, the dark mood was slowly lifting itself from the hearts of my kits, even if it meant I had to live with it for ever.

"let all cats old enough to catch their own prey join here beneath highrock for clan meeting!" Amberstars call echoed through the clearing.

'come on!' I said to my kits as I began nudging them towards the clearing beneath the highrock.

As other cats gathered I watched, seeing that many cats were still unsure about my return and about my loyalty. The only cats other then Amberstar that seamed to trust me fully were Darkflame, Foxfur and Nettleblossom. Though I had only just met the she-cat we had become close friends and I was glad that she had joined the clan.

Once every cat had gathered Amberstar began. "Today is the day we witness three kits receive their mentors and apprentice names, though I fear that their brother Greykit is not here to join them, I believe his sprite is here to watch his siblings reach their sixth moon. Midnightkit, Snowkit, and Splashkit you have each reached the age of six moons, and it is time for you to be apprenticed. From this day on, until you receive your warrior names, you will be known as Midnightpaw, Snowpaw and Splashpaw." Amberstar paused as she looked each newly named apprentice in the eye, as if remembering when she had received this same ceremony. "Midnightpaw," she purred as her gaze stopped on the black she-cat "Your mentor will be Leafstorm. " 

Amberstars eyes glanced that the tabby tom "Leafstorm please come here."

As Leafstorm stood infront of his leader I watched as he dipped his head in respect. Though I had not trusted the warrior at all since he had sided with Whitestar I hoped he would stay loyal to Thunderclan despite his pryer betrayal.