Chapter Thirty-Nine: Blackheart

It felt strange being with Moonclan again.  

All of them had come; Snowstar, Pinefall, Silversong, Blackpelt, Tigerfang, Foxfur and Dewpaw. The clan was small and perhaps they did need my kits and I but I knew that with Tigerfangs threat I could never return, even if I was forced to leave Tunderclan.

"Well," said Foxfur as she stood from her spot. "It's time." her orange pelt shown in the moonlight as her bright blue eyes eyed each of us, it was clear that this night would decide what ever happened after.

Following Pinefall I padded into mothermouth, the cold moist floor turning my paws to ice as his shape disappeared from view. 

My heart pounded as I felt Tigerfangs presence in the cramped space that surrounded me. Would he kill me when his clan was watching? In the sight of Starclan?  

I pray that he doesn't. But even so I could sense his darkness behind me like a void in the stars.

Suddenly the sprang in front of me brightened. The stars had not met the stone yet but the light of the moon filtering into the cave through the hole in the roof. 

Each of the Moonclan cats took a place around the moonstone and sat.  

My eyes glistened as I watched the stone come to life, it's once dull grey shade now a dazzling white glow as it a star had fallen from the sky and replaced the stone. 

The murmuring sound of many voices began to surround me as the light turned every cats pelt to a shining silver.

One by one the cats touched their noses to the stone. I watched as their eyes would shine just before closing as they would fall to the dreams of Starclan. 

Even still I waited for Tigerfangs gaze to flicker to sleep before daring to press my noes against the glow.

My nose burned as though struck by ice as I priests it to the moonstone. My heart nearly stopped as it's bright, star filled, surface filled my gaze; forcing me to close my eyes, shielding them from it's fire.

"Blackheart!" a voice snapped, causing my eyes to jolt open.  

A figure stood in front of me, no other cats were there. There was no doubt in my mind as I knew who this was.

"Whitestar." I growled. My only thoughts of this Windclan leader filled with hate. "What do you want."

"I've come to ask for your trust." he said simply, his smooth voice like ice pricking my fur through memories. 

The grey tom padded forward with black striped tail held high as his deep blue eyes met mine.

I tried not to flinch away, trying to remind myself it was not this cat who had raped me but Badgersoul.

"Why?" I spat as I looked at my paws "Why trust the one who has taken everything from me?"

I felt regret pulsing from the great toms body as he traced his tail along my scars, the ones that marked ever so vividly that my voice had been torn away from me.  

"He promised to give me the strength to lead my clan for many moons. I never could have expected what he would do with my body. " he sighed "I am sorry for my arrogance, which led you through such horrors."

I closed my eyes this was to much for me to take. "What do Starclan want me to do?" I cried into starclans forest "You've taken everything from me! My voice, my mate, my clans trust, my kits!" then I sobbed quietly "Even Riversong, my only kin left in Thunderclan has been driven away by Starclan!" 

Looking up I met the navy blue eyes had once looked at me while hosting pure evil.  

"Now what Whitestar? I am left to do starclans bidding, my loyalty to them has not wavered until now. Yet still I come to you for help to continue doing as you ask me." I asked as tears fled my eyes, Whitestars expression nearly shocked. "Not even Greykit has come to help me."

As taken aback as Whitestar seamed he spoke clearly as his voice was sorrowful. "He is a son to me. It is the least I can do for you to care for what you have loved so gravely." He paused and waited for my reply.

It felt as a long time had passed before I replied, fresh tears, though this time of joy came from my eyes. "I forgive you." I said to him.

"Thank you." he breathed in relief as his body began to fade from my view.

I expected to be with the cats of Moonclan but found myself sitting in a moonless forest. The darkness surrounding me, choking me with it's invisible tendrils.

"welcome." a voice said as it padded from behind a bush, his pelt hidden in the shadows "We've waited many moons for this moment." he hissed.

"Yes." another voice said as a sudden rush of pain filled me, not that of claws but as if a bolt of lightning had entered my body. 

I felt myself falter as my body went numb, falling to the ground. The pain continued to corse through me as I glazed up from where I was laying in my side.  

Three toms padded into view, the light that burned my body fading and leaving nothing more than their eyes visible as my vision blurred "Welcome."