Chapter Thirty-Five: Blackheart

Several days had passed since my encounter with Tigerfang. No trace of him had been found in our territory since, though on every patrol I took along the Moonclan border his scent always was the strongest. 

Amberstar had made sure that I was never alone with Leafstorm, every patrol that we happened to be together on there was another cat with us, most often it was Nettleblossom.  

And with each passing day I noticed that Middnightpaw was avoiding me more and more, shooting glares at me and always staying at her mentor, Leafstorms side. 

When my other two kits ran to meet me after a hard day of training she would only glare from a distance.

Tonight I planned on confronting her.

'Middnightpaw!' I said as I walked over to her at the fresh-kill pile, 'it seams you are avoiding me.' I said with a joking smile though inside I knew she had been meaning to do it 'Im worried you've forgotten your mother because she can't call you from a distance.'

Middnightpaw replied in a snort "I dont think you are loyal enough to be my mother."

'What do you mean?' I replied as the smile slowly faded from my lips.

"I've got reasons!" she hissed "You've switched clans more than once and you can't even stay loyal to your mate!" her eyes glistened with the same hate her mentors eyes had always held towards me "Your an un-loyal freak who lost their voice because she deserved it!"

My eyes widened 'Thats just your mentor speaking right? He's just lied to you is all Middnightpaw, I gave my voice to defend my clan! And it was Tigerfang who chose power over me!'

"I've heard so many stories that I don't know what to think anymore!" my kit spat "I'm loyal to my mentor what ever you think or are! It's even your fault he's not the deputy anymore!" 

And before I could reply the black she-cat snatched her piece of fresh-kill and quickly padded over to the nettle-patch with her siblings.

Out of the corner of my eye I caught a glance of Leafstorm watching his apprentice with a the clear look of pride on his face. 

My chest tightened in anger and I stalked up to him, body held high as to appear taller than him.

'What have you done to my kit!' I said, swishing my tail.

The toms amber eyes glowed with contempt as he purred his reply "I told her the truth."

'You've filled her head with lies and confusion!'

"Call the truth what you like, it's still the truth."

I narrowed my eyes 'Only loyal cats can say they speak the truth.'

"And who are you to say I am not loyal? I'm not the one to switch clans each moon, your sister didn't even bother to stay!"

'My sister never tried to kill a member of her clan, Unlike your brother!'

"You drove him to it and killed him when given the chance!"  

My ears pricked, that was exactly what Tigerfang had said. But before I could reply Amberstar hissed at Leafstorm from behind me,

"Leafstorm! How dare you use that against Blackheart, Badgersoul was the one who attacked her and the move she used to kill him was clearly defensive! Need I remind you of when you joined forces with Witestar and tried to kill Blackheart and Tigerfang? Was that not against the code?"

Leafstorm laid his ears back, hot with anger as he replied in a tight grunt "My apologies Amberstar" he looked as if to say more but his eyes fixed over Amberstars shoulder and a smirk covered his face. He stood, his amber eyes once again on Amberstar and I. 

"You cannot exile me for telling my apprentice the truth Amberstar, I have done nothing wrong since the last warning I received." he then dipped his head and padded towards the medicine den.

Amberstar sighed and let herself relax slightly "At least he hasnt harmed anyone... Though he has just shown me that his loyalty is definatly not with this clan anymore.

'he's gone and turned my own kit against me, filled her head with the lies that he claims are the truth. And Tigerfang said the same thing the last time I saw him...'

"Really? What did they say?"

'That I tricked Badgersoul into his obsession, and used it as an excuse to kill him.'

Amberstars eyes shown with concern "Was there anything else Tigerfang said?" I knew she had seen my saddness in my eyes.

'Id rather not say, it will be my battle to fight. Not your Amberstar, you are already working hard enough as leader, and with Leafstorm-'

"I understand your fears Blackheart, just know I will always be here to help you, as your leader and a friend."

'Thank you, I'll remember that.'