Chapter Thirty-Four: Riversong

The cold mountain breeze flattened my fur as I made my way through the rocky slopes. I couldn't tell how long it had been since I had left Tobby and Oreo on the border of the twoleg place and the grassy slopes that led to these mountains.

So far there was no cat in sigh, but neither was there any prey scent, thus I knew that I still had a long journey ahead. 

Every now and then I stopped to scent the air, praying to Starclan that I had not missed the cats that I had been scent to find.

Though I could not see the sky due to a drifting fog that surrounded me, I felt that the sun would have sunken deep beneath the sky, leaving the moons silver glow and the glitter of silverpelt in it's place.  

And so I decided to rest, figuring that perhaps the fog would be gone when the mornings new raise of light banished it form it's path.

I found a slight cave in one of the stones that towered ahead, and after checking it for the scent of any other animal; only to find it clear, I went in and laid myself down on the cold damp stone.

-----

The sound of quick paw-steps approaching woke me.

I laid still, hoping that my silvery-grey pelt blended in well enough to hide me, I kept my eyes closed as to not let the light filtering into the cave reflect off my blue and green eyes.

"Yes," a She-cats voice sounded into the cave where I was "The scent is coming from in here."

A second voice, that of a tom came next, "come out stranger, we will not harm you if you do not wish to harm us."

I opened my eyes only to see a pair of bright amber eyes peering at me though the cave mouth.

"Alright," I managed to reply "I'm coming out."

Once I stepped out of the small cave I saw that there where four cats staining out side, each of their pelts covered in a thick layer of mud.

The tom who had been looking into the cave stepped forward to speak.  

"I am River That Rushes Through Canyon, of the Tribe of Rushing Water. Who are you any why are you here on our territory."

I met his amber gaze as strongly as I could manage, though my legs dabbled with relief at finding these cats. "I am Riversong, medicine-cat of Thunderclan. And I am here because I was told I would be welcomed."

The she-cat who had spoken before stepped to the toms side as she replied for him. "we where told that you would come."  

I hadn't known how much I had been unsure of wether Starclan was right or not until I saw that she-cats green eyes and how they were not welcoming at all, instead they held anger. 

"Actually we where warned." the tom grunted. "But we will take you to our cave and see what Stoneteller has to say."

My heart sank as I realized that Starclan had not spoken truthfully.  

"I will come with you without refraining, I can assure you that I am no threat."

The tom grunted in reply, clearly unhappy with my words as he turned to lead me away; the other three cats takeing places on each side of me. A shadow emerged, touching my pelt with it's, the other cats did not notice, though his rank scent filled my nose as he hissed into my ear.

"...I told you you would be punished..."  

Sudenly realization priked at my fur, the cat who had told me to leave the clans was not a Starclan cat, but instead it had been one of Scarpelts warriors.