Chapter Forty: Riversong

I felt my eyes beginning to open as sunlight rippled across the prey-hunters den.

It had only been last night when I had met The Tribe of Endless Hunting and learned that I was to stay until either Tobby or Oreo saved the tribe. 

After last night an old prophecy resurfaced in my mind, 'Only the Darkness of Thunder and the Swiftness of River can Save the howling wind.' and after having met the tribe I began to worry that the Wind was not Windclan, and the River not Riverclan but instead being myself. 

At first I had hoped it to be Rush, whos full tribe name was River that Rushes through Canyon. But with the Tribes prophecy as well as my own I knew that it could not be him.

"Riversong," Cave, a dark brown Tom with blue eyes said from the den entrance. "You are wanted on a patrol."

"Coming." I replied as I stood and made my way around those who still slept.

Padding to the waterfall I was met by Stone, Rush, Fern and Breeze as they waited to begin our hunt.

We first stopped at the base of the falls where a large pool of mud had been made over seasons of flowing water, and smeared our pelts with it. Almost instantly I could feel my body cooling from it moist touch as it blocked the Sun's growing brightness.

It didn't take us long to cats two large eagles and take them back to the cave. 

It was no later than sunhigh when we felt the cool splash of the waterfall beginning to remoisten the dry mud on our pelts.

I was about to begin to head for the freshkill pile as a screech sounded outside the den. The voice that it had Escaped from was clearly not a tribe cat.  

Suddenly it came again, a cat in agony, released their pain in hope to be heard. 

I rushed outside the den, followed by several cave guards.

It was a shecat, her red brown tabby pelt covered in a thick layer of blood, her body laying on a stone outside the cave.  

Her amber eyes caught sight of us and she began to yowl a plea for us to help her.

Several cave guards rushed to her and lifted her up, clearly unaware of what would happen next as a large tan tabby Tom leaped out of where he had been hiding in the shelter of a few large stones. His claws clamping onto Rush's back as a battle cry escaped his mouth and more cats flooded from behind the stones.

The prophecies had begun.