Chapter Twenty-Four: Riversong

Both happiness and fear filled my mind as I listened to the other medicine cats chant Darkpaws new name, Darkflame. Memories of my dream hadn't left my mind, of what the two dark forest cats had said they would do if I said anything, I was sure that he meant telling Starclan as well.. and I was still nervous about meeting with them tonight; would they remind me of the other two prophecies or would one of their warriors speak to me about what I had heard.

I was snapped out of my thought the moonstones grayish color flashed into life as the moons light filled the cavern.  

"Darkflame, you may now lead us in entering Starclans world for the first time as a full medicine cat." I forced myself to say calmly.

I watched as he then slowly approached the star-filled Moonstone and laid himself in front of it with his nose touching. We all followed once we saw that his breathing had slowed to deep sleeping breaths.

-----

My eyes snapped open the moment that I felt lush forest grass beneath my paws instead of the cold Mother-mouths floor. A cream colored tabby she-cat sat in front of me, her autumn brown eyes glittering with starlight; same as the moonstone.

"I have come to apologize Riversong, for the number of prophecies we have sent to your clan. You have managed them well for such a young cat and we are proud to have your apprentice receive his full name." she said with a soothing voice.

"Are you here to tell me what they mean?" I asked feeling like I knew the answer. 

"I'm afraid they are for you and Darkflame to find out..."

"Then why are you here?"

"I'm afraid you must leave Thunderclan for a while."

"WHAT?" I gasped "I can't leave them! I've only just regained the respect they had for me! I'll never be trusted as a medicine cat again!"

"Your destiny lies far from this territory Riversong..." she murmured her honey-like scent filling the forest "You have a hard journey ahead of you, but you cannot stay in Thunderclan, if you do you will cause great pain to your clan. Worse then the pains you will have if they choose not to trust you if you return."

"But my clan needs me!" I hissed trying to convince not only her but myself as well.

"For the time you are gone Darkflame will watch the clan. These are going to be hard times, and only if you leave will they be able to survive."

"But how long will I be gone? Where will I go?" my shoulders began to slump as I realized I had to do what the she-cat said.

"You will know, we will guide you every paw-step of the way. There is a place for you among the mountains, the cats there know you are coming and they will welcome you."

I looked into her starry eyes as tears clouded my vision. "But what about Blackheart and my mother? Will I never get to see them?"

"You will upon your return. But you must leave now and let Darkflame return alone." the she-cat then stood "When you awake they will still be sleeping, you must leave before they see you."

-

My eyes flickered open to the darkened cavern of the moonstone, the other cats were still asleep, just as the she-cat had told me. So I began to feel my way out of the cave. When the fresh night air filled my mouth and I had reached the entrance of mother-mouth I began to follow the path up the slope, figuring that since the she-cat had mentioned the mountains I should go up rather then down.

Once at the top of the hill I looked ahead of me and how far I had to go, it turned out that the mountains did not connect to the moonstones hill, instead they where far in the distance, barely visible. I gulped as I saw the territories I was going to have to cross, large masses of two-leg territory stretched ahead, along with large fields of grass and other things surrounded by shining borders.  

The sound of voices sounded from the bottom of the hill near the mother-mouth. So I quickly crouched and listened. 

"I'm sure she just returned to camp, perhaps Starclan sent her a message telling her to." was what Darkflame said reassuringly to the other clan cats.

"I suppose so..." was the Echowhispers reply.

"I think it's best we all return to our clans." Darkwhisker replied, the she-cats voice sounded darker then usual, it seemed something might be happening in Shadowclan that had change the she-cat, but with the new clans arrival Shadowclans threat had been slightly forgotten by everyone.

I stood and began to walk the other way before I changed my mind and returned to my clan against Starclans wishes.

Now my journey had truly begun.