Chapter Fifty-One: Blackheart

I stared at my paws and at the body that had been slain before them. The cries of battle still echoed through the cave as the tribe still fought for their home. Tigerfang’s claws still held their clasp on my sisters’ torn flesh. Tears began to fall from my eyes as I couldn’t help but realize that I was in the wrong this time, I had let Tigerfang kill her.

The cave began to grow warmer around me as I felt the heat of hatred grow within me. How could they all keep fighting when a life had been lost, why had Tigerfang lied to me. Wasn’t it all just supposed to be simple? A quick revenge plot against a villain, once dead leaving the others to live normally as though nothing had been wronged to begin with.
               But then that is never really the case is it? In my mind, I was able to remember Whitestar, and how he had been thought to be a villain, but actually was not. This all just seemed to be a repeat of that same moment… only in this case, it was not only that… the villain was the hero.

Being so lost in my thoughts I hadn’t noticed as Tigerfang approached me until he used his tail to lift my chin, allowing him to meet my utterly lost gaze.

“The battle is over.” He purred as he leaned in towards me, his forest green eyes dark and unreadable.

               I felt my shoulders dropped as I let my head and gaze fall again to my sister’s speckled grey pelt where it lay lifeless on the cave floor. “It’s not true…” I murmured.

               “What’s that?” Tigerfang asked, bending over to listen more closely.

               I turned my face to him as my expression grew into a snarl. “You Lied to Me!” I snarled as my realizations boiled over into pure anger. “She did nothing!” Continuing as my fur stood on end, my back arching as I spat at him “And do you think I am blind to the battle that rages on around us! THE BATTLE IS NOT OVER!”

               His eyes met mine, for a moment a spark of shock entered them, though it was quickly extinguished as he closed them and shook his head. Beginning to pad in a circle around me he spoke in that same fluid tone he seemed to always use as of late. “It’s a shame the shock that took your memories faded so quickly…” his eyes closed, “If only it could have lasted until the battle was over, then perhaps I could have talked them into sparing you.”

               “What do you mean?” I hissed. As I strained my neck to keep him in my vision.

             Shaking his head he sighed almost as though he regretted his choice of words. “Badgersoul would have let me keep you had this plan worked. Perhaps we would have even found your kits…”  Tigerfangs eyes shot open as he stood directly in front of me once more, “But clearly this battle has been lost, and now it’s time for you to parish, just as you should have on the night your voice was stolen.”

               “As if I would ever die at your claws.” I snarled back, my eyes locking on his.

              “That’s right.” Another voice seemed to join in, as the battle around us faded into blackness, it was as though we weren’t even in the cave anymore. My sister’s body still lay beside me though, so I knew that battle still raged on.               Sickening yellow green eyes appeared at Tigerfangs side as another cat padded into vision. “You won’t be slain by Tigerfang.” He walked closer as I found my paws bound to the ground, feeling as though my sister’s blood had turned to a sticky paste, leaving me with no escape.

               He purred as he walked slightly past me, his tail flicking my chin before he turned and made eye contact. “Blackheart my friend..” he said in a sickeningly calm voice as he lifted his paw, claws unsheathed and placed it gently on the side of my neck.

               “Instead…Your death will be at my claws.” He stated as his claws swiftly slashed through my throat.
      As I fell to the ground he began to walk away, leaving me as my vision began to fade to match the darkness surrounding the figures of both tom’s.
    “Tell the River that I said farewell.” He purred, turning around one last time once he was at Tigerfangs side. His Yellow green eyes burning into my mind just before my eyes closed for the last time.