Chapter One: Riversong

"There you go." I purred as I finished rapping an apprentices wounded paw in cobweb.  

She had been slightly injured from a border fight the other day, Windclan had come to far into Thunderclan territory and there were far to many of them to be a simple accident. 

The battle had been a pretty bad one and not one cat escaped without a wound, though the worst one so far hadn't been very bad. But Blackheart was missing, it had been her who sounded the alarm and prepared us for battle, but she was the only one not yet accounted for. 

I could feel my fear showing in my oddly colored eyes, one light blue, the other light green. She was my sister and I didn't know what I would do without her at my side. She may have even been killed before we got to the border!

Just as I was about to go into panic mode I herd a commotion in the camp clearing, and as I leaped out of my den to see what it was, I almost wished I had not seen it, Blackheart was pulling her self through the bramble entrance with two warriors now helping her, one on each side. 

Her eyes caught mine for only a second before she let herself drop to the ground, blood was spilling rapidly from a huge wound on her back, but I needed a better look so I told the warriors to get her to my den right at that moment.

The den was filled with the reek of spilled blood once we got Blackheart in there.  

I had left the warriors to get my herbs ready to use on her, but first I needed to stop the bleeding.  

Both warriors left after I got the blood to stop and what was stuck to her fur rinsed out with water.  

But now that I could see her wounds more clearly I feared that she might die before I could do a thing, the journey back to camp would have used so much of her energy and she might not even want to live after all this...

After I treated her wounds I knew they would scar, but it was the shape that they were in that was weird. 

There was two marks, one was thin and long and it led straight from her tail tip to her forehead, another wound crossed it at her shoulders it to was a slim strait line. I didn't know why but the mark disturbed me.

"Will she make it?" someone asked me from my dens entrance.

"I'm sorry Tigerfang, but I don't know. She has so many wounds and she's lost so much blood. I'm just not sure if it was too much for her body to handle..."

"At least you're trying to save her Riversong, she will go to Starclan when she is ready to go." 

Tigerfang was right, if Starclan took Blackheart she would be going of her own choice and by Starclan's plan for her. It was not my job, even as medicine cat to change that, I was only to do my best at healing.

It was just after moon high when Blackheart's eyes opened. She didn't say anything she just sat and watched. But every now and again she would open her mouth and try to say something only to close it again without a sound. 

I couldn't imagine what could be racing through her head, I had so many questions to ask like 'who in Windclan did this to you?' or 'what can you remember?' none the less I held the dens silence without a single noise.

A small idea popped into my mind as I sorted some herbs, I would have to find a way for her to communicate with us, for the clans sake as much as my own. And though she was still far from fully healed I knew I would need to start training her soon. For now at least she could still hear me,

"Don't worry sister, I will find a way for you to speak, even if it takes moons to do so!"

Later that night, I met a Starclan warrior in a dream. The warrior said the claw marks on Blackhearts back were a sign normally given to a warrior who lost their voice in battle. The dream only lasted a few seconds before I awoke.

The wounds Blackheart had were beginning to turn to fresh scars on her once beautiful black pelt. They were highly noticeable and seamed to reflect light as well as any cats eye would with moonlight. 

Also a new scar was placed on Blackhearts chest, I hadn't a clue how it got there but there it was, it was a lightning mark, as though it was Thunderclan's symbol. 

That was it! The way to speak with Blackheart, through symbol talk! Though first I would need to find a language, but at least she would easily talk again without the need for voice.