A Much Deserved Daddy Daughter Day

Miranda's pov

I'm super excited to get to know my dad. He's smiling and I can tell he's excited too. "I'm so glad you finally know who I am." "I've always wondered who you were."

Jason's pov

"Mom always said such mean things about you and I don't know why." I know why. But I don't know if I want to talk about that with her right now. "I do want you to know, I was there for everything. I never missed a play or a recital. Even if you didn't know." She hugs me. "I'm glad I know now." I am so glad she's here. "Me too sweetheart." I park in my driveway.

Miranda's pov

Someone else's car is here. "Uh... Who's that?" I ask. He glances at the car and smiles. "That my dear, is your uncle Luke." I have an uncle! I've never had an uncle before! Why am I so nervous? I hold dad's hand and I don't care that I'm fifteen and wanting to hold my dad's hand. I didn't get to do this as a child. He opens the door. "Hey Luke, got a huge surprise for ya!" He calls. The house is quiet. "Hm. Probably asleep." He walks to the other room and I hear them talking. Rachel texts me.

R: how's it going?

M: I'm nervous. I'm about to meet my uncle. He and dad are talking.

R: ooh girl, keep us updated. We're going back to Georgia with Mrs. Lambert.

M: okay.

I put up my phone as he and my uncle walk out. "That wasn't your mom, was it?" Dad asks. I shake my head. "My friend Rachel. She helped me get up here." He smiles. "Well, this is Luke. He's not really my brother but he's close enough that I consider him my brother." He half waves.

Jason's pov

"I don't care. He's family!" She hugs him too.

*later*

"Me and mom have never been close. She didn't do the normal mom thing other moms do." "Like what hun?" She sighs, staring at her hands. "You know, like shopping or doing my hair for a date, not that I'd ever get one anyway. It was Mrs. Sara, the twins' mom who did all that stuff." Poor kid. "Of course you could get a date sweetheart, not that I'd want you to." She finally smiles. I don't know what I'm gonna do when Jessica starts looking for her. "I wish I got to stay with you all this time. Mom doesn't care like you do. She never even bothered to come to my play about Christmas when I was ten." I was there. I didn't even think about Jessica not being there. "Hey let's not sit around the house. I have no idea how long I've got and I want to spend that time with my little girl." She smiles. "Me too. What are we gonna do?" "Have you ever been to Nashville?" "No." I'm really excited for this. "Then we're gonna see the sights of my town." I wave to Luke who's still hungover from last night's concert and we head to the country music hall of fame. "There's a lot to see here about all the singers that have come and gone in country music."

*a few hours later*

I'm getting hungry and I can tell Miranda is too. I smile seeing a karaoke bar. "Hey hun, you hungry?" "A little." I point to the bar. "But dad, I'm only fifteen!" I laugh. "So you're not drinkin' I wouldn't let ya anyway. We're just going to eat.... And maybe do some karaoke." Her eyes go wide. "I don't think so." "Why not?" "I'm nervous. I've never sang in front of people." "It's alright darlin', no one but me will be listening. I promise." She smiles. "Ok let's go!" We go and get something to eat then it's my turn to go up.

Miranda's pov

He sings a few songs then points to me. I'm shaking in my boots. I step up onstage, a smile on dad's face.

Jason's pov

"Mama locked the door last night for the first time in all of her years. I said mama you gotta be kidding me, she said things ain't like they used to be round here..." Whoa, I almost fell outta my chair hearing her sing. She's got such a good singing voice. Everyone is silent in the bar. When she's done, they all, including me, stand up and clap. "Wow, darlin' that was amazing!" She runs offstage into my open arms. "I love you dad!" "I love you too baby girl." She drops the mic, crying in my arms. This is all so new to her. Poor kid. This must be so confusing. "Maybe we should go on home."

*later*

I'm super confused. Why hasn't Jessica called wondering where she is? Miranda glares at her phone while sitting in my recliner. I sit up on the couch. "You okay, hun?" She sets her phone down and looks at me. "Why did mama keep me away from you all these years?" She asks. Oh that dreaded question. I pat the couch and she sits beside me. "Your mom doesn't like me." "Why not?" "She thinks I'm too caught up in the fame of being a singer and I don't have time for family. Which couldn't be further from the truth." But it used to be.

~flashback~

Jessica walks into the studio. I had just gotten my record deal and gotten my career started. "Jason what are we doing?" "About what?" "The baby?!" I shrug, looking over a bunch of songs. "You can do whatever ya want."

~flashback over~

Obviously that was the wrong choice of words. I'm still confused as to why Jessica hasn't tried to find her. If she cared about her, why isn't she trying to find her? She curls into my side. "I wanna stay with you daddy." I fight back the tears and hold her tight until she falls asleep. "I want you to stay with me too baby girl." I kiss her forehead and carry her to the guest room.

Rachel's pov

Uh oh. Mrs. Jessica is calling me. "Yes ma'am?" "Can you tell Miranda she has slept over enough nights and it's time for her to come home?" Uh oh. I bite my lip, looking at Sierra but she has no idea what to say. "I'm sorry mrs. Jessica, I can't." "Why not?!" "She's not here." "Well where the hell is she?!" I sigh, knowing I have to tell her now. "She's in Nashville with her daddy." Silence then the phone goes dead.