A Baby, Grief, And A Huge Surprise

Jason's pov

Jessica gave birth to a little boy. We named him Brayden. After we make sure there's nothing wrong with him, I walk down to the cafeteria where Miranda is. She's sitting at a table with her head in her hands. James stands beside her. I sit across from her and put a hand over hers. "Baby girl, I'm so sorry. I wish I could fix it." She doesn't say anything, just stares at her hands. "Do you wanna meet your brother?" "No." Poor girl. I wish there was something I could do to help!

*later*

Miranda's pov

I sob quietly into my pillow back home. Mom and dad are still at the hospital with James and my brother. I hear the door downstairs open. It's quiet though. That's weird. If it was mom or dad or James they would've said. I walk downstairs and standing there is a blonde boy. "Who are you?" I ask, walking downstairs and standing in front of a drawer that holds my dad's pistol. His angry glare stays glued to me. "A friend of Jimmy's." My eyes go wide and my hands instantly grip the pistol secretly.

Jason's pov

The door is wide open. I walk over and see a blonde boy and he says, "A friend of Jimmy's."! I freeze hearing that. Then a gunshot sounds and he falls down, dead! My eyes widen in shock. "Fuck you." I hear my baby girl growl. I run inside and she drops a pistol, tears in her eyes along with rage. I run to her and hug her tight. She sobs against my shoulder. "They're gone." She whimpers. "I'm so sorry baby girl. I'm so sorry." We just stand in the living room crying and hugging for about two minutes then Jessica comes inside carrying Brayden. "Where's James?" I ask. "Out front. He says he needs to talk to you." Jess says to me. I raise an eyebrow in confusion. Okay. I pat Miranda's shoulder and kiss Jessica's forehead and walk outside. James is pacing and mumbling to himself. "Ahem?" He snaps his head up and looks worried instantly. "What's up, son?" I step off the porch and walk over to where he's standing, by my truck. "How's she doing?" I sigh and glance back. "I don't know." He twists his shirt in his hand. "James, what's going on?" "I uh.... I'd like to.... Ask Miranda to marry me." My eyes go wide. I try to hide my shock and picture my princess in a wedding dress and walking down the aisle. Then I imagine her the day she met this boy. I almost didn't let them be together. "James, you don't know this now but someday when you have a little girl of your own, nobody will ever be good enough for her." He stares at his hands. I smile. "Until one is." His eyes go wide. "I-Is that a yes, sir?" I nod and hold a hand out. He firmly grasps it. "Welcome to the family, James."

Miranda's pov

I sit on my bed with my phone in hand, scrolling through the pictures on my phone. "I can't call them anymore. They're gone. I won't see their red curls, their freckled faces." I whisper, shaking. I scroll through more. Back to one when they were going through that detective phase. I cover a sob up with a light chuckle. "The P.I. sisters." I whisper. "Baby girl." I jump when dad knocks on my door. He stares at me sadly. I wipe my eyes. "Can you come downstairs for a minute?" I sigh and toss my phone. "Congratulations, Brayden is a beautiful baby boy." I shakily mumble, fighting back the urge to collapse in a heap. I take a step and collapse to my knees. I feel his arms wrap around me. My body shaking with sadness. "I want them back daddy! They should be here!" I yelp. He stays quiet the whole time then we go downstairs after I compose myself. James walks over and hugs me. "Miranda I want you to know always how much I love you." I glance confused at Dad. He's smiling. Mom resituates Brayden confused. "Miranda Kimberly Aldean, would you make me the happiest country boy on the planet by marrying me?" My eyes widen in shock. I cover my mouth with a shaking hand. He gets on one knee holding a ring. "Yes." I whisper. He quickly stands up and hugs me. "I love you." "I love you too." I choke out, wide eyed. My stare locked on my father who is still smiling. I smile too, another tear slipping from my eye. I'm getting married.