A Tribute Song

Miranda's pov

*a few years later*

I'm opening for dad on his new tour. I wrote this new song and am very excited to present it. "The video's set right daddy?" I ask, trying not to cry. He smiles. "Ready when you are, princess." I smile and hug him. "I'm ready." I grab my guitar and walk out onstage. Behind me pictures of me and my best friends play on the screen. I strum the chords and sing, "It's perfect outside, it's like God let me dial up the weather. Got the whole crew here, ain't seen some of them in forever." I glance at dad who's smiling sidestage. "It's one of those never forget it better stop and take it in kinda scenes. Everything's just right yeah except for one thing." James looks worried. But I'm okay. "You should be here, standing with your arm around me, cuttin' up, crackin' a cold beer sayin' cheers, hey y'all it's sure been a good year, this is one of those moments where it's got your name written all over it and I know if I had just one wish, it'd be that ya didn't have to miss this, oh you should be here." It goes into a musical break and while me and the band play, I look at the pictures flashing by. My sixteenth birthday. Rocking backstage at dad's concerts. "You'd be takin' way too many pictures on your phone, showin' 'em off to everybody that you know back home and even some you don't. They say now you're in a better place but I would be too if I could see your face, you should be here. Standin' with your arm around me here. Cuttin' up, crackin' a cold beer, saying cheers, he y'all it's sure been a good year. It's one of those moments, that's got your name written all over it and I know that if I had just one wish, it'd be that you didn't have to miss this, oh you should be here, you'd be lovin' this, you'd be freakin' out, you'd be smilin' yeah I know you'd be all about what's goin' on right here right now, God I wish somehow you could be here! Oh you should be here! Yeah this is one of those moments where it's got your name written all over it and you know that if I had just one wish, it'd be that you didn't have to miss this! Aw you should be here!" I gasp breathless, tears nonstop coursing down my cheeks. I look at the last picture. I smile and wipe my eyes. The P.I. sisters. In the corner it has their names and dates of birth and death. "That song is dedicated to my closest friends who died a few years back. They may be gone but they will never be forgotten." The screen cuts to black and the fans cheer to where I can't even hear myself think.

Jason's pov

I put my hat on, prepared to go onstage when she says something that surprises and confuses me. "Um before my dad comes on to sing, I have a special announcement I wanna share with all of you." I walk to the edge of backstage and James stands beside me equally confused. She waves us out, still tearing up.

Miranda's pov

They're both super confused. I smile and hold James' hand. "James and I are gonna have a baby." I finally manage to get out. His hand tightens around mine and when I look, both of them are jaw dropped and wide eyed. "Y-You're pregnant?" My husband shakily asks. I nod. He hugs me tight. "This is the best damn news I've ever received.

Jason's pov

Oh my God! My baby girl is pregnant. I shakily walk over and hug her tight. "I'm gonna be a grandpa." I gasp. She smiles. "You sure are." "I got a song perfect for the occasion. I pick up my guitar and strum to it. "This ol highway's gettin' longer seems there ain't no end in sight to sleep would be best but I just can't seem to rest, I've got to ride into Denver tomorrow night. I called the house but no one answered, for the last two weeks noone's been home, I guess she's through with me to tell the truth I just can't see what's kept the woman holding on this long. And the white line's getting longer and saddle's gettin' cold oh I'm much too young to feel this damn old. All my cards are on the table with no ace left in the hole, oh I'm much too young to feel this damn old, yes I'm much too young to feel this damn old!" I throw my pick into the crowd and set my guitar down. I hug Miranda tight. "Hey y'all, I'm gonna be a grandpa!" We sing the chorus to that song together. "Yeah I'm much too young to feel.... This.... Damn.... Old!"

THE END