Chapter 6 - Clearing The Air

"Your path is beautiful and crooked and just as it should be." - Unknown

Chibs didn't wait to see what it was flying through the air toward them. He dropped to his knees and slid under the desk with Hazel, blocking her as the cheap, homemade bomb exploded before it even hit the floor. Clinging to him, ink stained nails digging into his leather jacket, Hazel yelped as the sound hit her, the heat consuming them in seconds. The fire caught, first the curtains, then stock boxes and the hundreds of sketch pads littered throughout the shop.

"I think it's time for us to go." Chibs grabbed Hazel around her waist and jumped to his feet, running down the hall toward the alleyway exit.

"Jesus," she screeched as he dropped her back to her feet, taking her hand in his to lead her out to the street. "Was that your guy?"

"No," Chibs coughed as the smoke billowed in their faces. "Or at least it better not have been."

Hazel looked at him doe-eyed and swallowed hard as sirens filled their ears. "I think I better keep you around."

"Aye, I'm not going anywhere."

--

"Protect the club?" Jax sneered. "That was Donna who got hurt, after you put a hit on Ope without even voting. I get protecting the clu-"

"Clay," Juice knocked on the door. "We got a problem."

Jax and Clay growled, furious over the interruption but the latter invited Juice in. "What is it?"

"Opie went after the Niners, the one we were thinking went after Donna, and uhh, they have him now. Laroy wants to talk to you."

Now that Jax knew the truth there were suddenly complexities to the situation that no one dreamed of and that were incredibly dangerous for everyone involved. Without a thought, the members that were already gathered at the clubhouse charged down the lot to their bikes. The situation seemed impossible to top, everything teetering on the edge over one terrible decision, but it all reached its peak when Chibs called with his report.

"I didn't get a look at who," he grumbled as Hale and Unser made a beeline for him and Hazel. "I didn't get a chance to ask her, Captain America and Cancer Boy are here. I'll fill you in later."

Jax opened his mouth to speak again, not having been able to get a word in since confirming Tig was at the clubhouse, but the call had already ended. "Jesus Christ," he barked. "This is a goddamn mess."

--

Hazel stammered and stuttered her way through the interview with Hale while Unser and Chibs discussed things in a more equal footing.

"Who is she?"

"A girl," Chibs said casually. "Don't think it's about her though."

"You?" Unser asked with surprise.

He shrugged, flicking his cigarette into the gutter. "Maybe." Chibs eyed Hale and Hazel and gave Unser a nudge. "Back him off her," he said as a gentle order. "She doesn't know shite."

"Let him think he's doing his job," Unser groaned, not believing Chibs in the slightest. "She knows to keep her mouth shut, right?"

"If she didn't I probably wouldn't be here," he muttered, "And she'd be dead by now."

"Thanks to you I'm not," she smiled weakly as she joined Unser and Chibs. "I really didn't want to die right after losing my virginity," she whispered as she jabbed her elbow into his ribs.

Chibs did a double take and narrowed his eyes. "What?"

"Yep," she smiled brightly, thoroughly amused by his reaction to the joke.