Chapter 40 - Leap of Faith

"The first step towards getting somewhere is to decide that you are not going to stay where you are." - Unknown

Hazel was gone for six weeks. Over that time Chibs and Violet were able to have a few visits with her but, for the most part, there was no contact and she didn't really mind it much. Upon her release she had so many plans, things she knew would be good for her, but instead, she went home with Chibs. It wasn't healthy and it wasn't what she wanted but she couldn't say no to him after everything.

It took her about three weeks to start to feel the backslide from staying in Charming. She knew the memories and her friends would bring back so many negative feelings but she had no idea they would be so intense. One evening, while Chibs was on a run, she sat on the edge of the bed obsessing over how bad it would be if she smoked up or had a few drinks.

"I can't do this shit," she whinnied. It was as if drinking and partying, a joint or blunt here and there, was all she had done before. It seemed insignificant but that's how it started, or so her therapists and sponsor always told her.

Managing to get some sleep she awoke when Chibs came into bed at around three in the morning. "Sorry, love," he whispered seeing he had disturbed her.

"It's fine," she sat up. "We should talk."

"Are you okay?" He instinctively took her hand, his fingers tracing her fresh pink scars.

She nodded, pulling her hands away, and turned her body towards him. "I love you, Filip."

"Aye," he sighed. "I love you."

"But I can't stay here," she whimpered. "I'm sorry this house and my old apartment...Charming in general, it's too much. There's too much darkness here."

In disbelief he chuckled, taking her hands back again, and pleaded with her. "Hazel, it'll get better, poppet. You can't go."

"I have to," she pouted. "I have a few friends and cousins scattered, I won't be alone or anything."

"But I will," he released her hands and cupped her face. "How can you bring stability here when you feel so..."

"Unstable, weak, scared," she rattled off. "I can't. It's not you, I swear."

He let her go, his face growing puffy as the urge to cry intensified, and began to shut down. "You have to do what's best."

"Please," she whimpered. "I wish you could come with, I do, but I think we know you can't leave, you won't transfer."

"So you can't stay and I can't leave."

She laughed sadly. "I'll write a song about it. Star-crossed lovers."

"Aye," he got out of bed. "Violet going with?"

"No," she shook her head. "I didn't tell her and she's doing better with Tig than she has in a while."

"They're good for each other," he rolled his eyes. A comment about how good they had been played on his tongue but he kept it back behind his lips. "Will you be back?"

"I don't know," she watched him pace the room.

"So, this," he pointed between them. Hazel didn't speak, she just shook her head. "Anna and Job, if they weren't dead I'd kill them myself."

"This is not their fault, Filip."

"Then whose is it?" He was becoming angry. "Mine?"

"No one's," Hazel snapped. "Please don't do this, don't get mad."

"I am," he scoffed. "After all this shite, everything, you're going."

Hazel nodded and grabbed a bag from the closet. "I can't deal with this." She began to pack furiously, crying quietly, while he huffed and paced behind her. "I'm sorry, Filip."

"Don't leave," he grabbed her wrists. "Hazel, please."

"Goodbye," she was now the angry one.

--

"Yeah," Tig whispered over the phone, "She's here. They're in the living room."

"What are they saying?"

"I don't know," he moved closer to the door. "Can't hear em', it's muffled."

The bedroom door opened and Violet found him with his ear against the wall, in nothing but his boxers, looking monumentally guilty. "That Chibs?" She sneered.

"Uhh, yeah."

"Way to go," she shouted into the phone. "Any chance we had of talking her into staying or helping her through this is gone now cause you got so pissed."

Chibs went off annoyed and upset but Tig shut him down. "I'm not saying that to her. This isn't Vi's fault, brother, don't say that shit about her."

Violet smiled to herself as he ended the call promptly. "Thanks."

"Yeah," he kissed her cheek. "She okay?"

"No," she sighed. "She's right, same town, same house, same friends; it's hard and it stirs shit up. My mom should have left so many time, she didn't and now she's dead but I don't want Hazel to go."

"Maybe she'll be back," he tried to make her feel better as best he could.

"Maybe," Violet shrugged as she gathered a few of Hazel's remaining things. "Maybe not."

There was a tiny knock at the door and Violet smiled as Hazel stepped into her old bedroom. She immediately hugged Tig despite how little he was wearing. "Take care of her, please."

"Of course," Tig said genuinely.

"And him," her voice broke.

"That's gonna be harder," he laughed. "But I'll look out for him."

"Thank you." Turning to Violet Hazel began to cry. "I love you so much. Please be good, Vi. I mean it."

Violet nodded. "I'm being mature, I told Trevor, no more stringing him along or avoiding it."

"Good girl," Hazel laughed. "I'll call you...sometime."

--

I listened to a few of you and started a sequel! It's called Bad Blood and I'll be posting it in a few minutes. Please vote and comment! Thanks a million for the support! xoxo